Author Topic: Column: Biden can win on immigration by outmaneuvering the xenophobic wing of the GOP  (Read 285 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Column: Biden can win on immigration by outmaneuvering the xenophobic wing of the GOP

BY JEAN GUERREROCOLUMNIST
NOV. 6, 2023 3:01 AM PT

President Biden campaigned on a promise to legalize millions of long-term undocumented immigrants. For three years, he has managed to deflect criticism for failing to deliver by pointing to the divided Congress.

Now, activists are pressuring him to use his authority to protect this essential workforce. The question is whether he can do so without strengthening his MAGA opposition, which thrives on “open borders” hysteria. Should he even try, given the likelihood of litigation? The answer is yes. With creativity and moderation, he can outmaneuver the xenophobic wing of the Republican Party.

On Nov. 13 and 14 in Washington, D.C., a coalition of immigrant rights groups, business owners, Republican and Democratic officials and immigrants themselves plan to urge Biden to open the door to work permits for millions of people who’ve lived here for decades. They want him to grant them parole, as he did for hundreds of thousands of new arrivals from Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti and Nicaragua.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-11-06/biden-immigration-parole-republicans-work-permits
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

Lol….

Besides the economy, this is another area that Biden is polling very poorly on

Sure. Run on convincing people that our broken border is actually good thing.

Should work just as well as convincing the people the economy is doing great
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:20:49 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy