Author Topic: On this day in history, November 4, 1980, Ronald Reagan elected president: 'Morning again in America  (Read 669 times)

Online libertybele

On this day in history, November 4, 1980, Ronald Reagan elected president: 'Morning again in America

Conservative icon Ronald Reagan, the former Hollywood leading man and California governor who outwitted the American political elite to reach the Oval Office, was elected president of the United States on this day in history, Nov. 4, 1980.

His "triumph capped the rise of the new right/conservative wing of the Republican Party and ushered in a new era of governing," writes the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum.

"Reagan served as arguably the first true conservative U.S. president in over 50 years. [He] advanced domestic policies that featured a lessening of federal government responsibility in solving social problems, reducing restrictions on business, and implementing tax cuts."

He also implemented a muscular foreign policy that many historians say led to the downfall of the Soviet Union and largely ended communism as a viable political philosophy on the global stage.

Reagan easily defeated the sitting president, Democrat Jimmy Carter, who oversaw what he himself called the American "malaise" in an infamously dour July 1979 speech............

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-nov-4-1980-ronald-reagan-elected-president
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

On this day in history, November 5, 1980, I was kicked out of my US & Virginia Government class by my bitchy power-wielding leftist teacher for daring
 to walk into class with a satisfactory wide-beaming grin on my face.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

On this day in history, November 5, 1980, I was kicked out of my US & Virginia Government class by my bitchy power-wielding leftist teacher for daring
 to walk into class with a satisfactory wide-beaming grin on my face.

The leftists power in the classroom has been going on for decades and that's why the GOP will continue to lose.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
My mom voted for John Anderson. Not sure who my dad voted for.

Online libertybele

My mom voted for John Anderson. Not sure who my dad voted for.

Never heard of him.

Offline Hoodat

Never heard of him.

Anderson was the GOP Establishment's last ditch effort to deny Ronald Reagan the White House.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Anderson was the GOP Establishment's last ditch effort to deny Ronald Reagan the White House.

Yes and she hated and still hates Reagan.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Boy oh boy that seems like yesterday

I voted for Anderson too. I still have a political button from him
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:28:27 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

I was thinking about Reagan today. Perhaps our last president to have been worth anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org