Author Topic: Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy  (Read 904 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
« on: November 04, 2023, 05:19:28 pm »
Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
By Ron Scott
November 04, 2023
U.S. Air Force photo by Trevor Cokley

Following a Stand Together Against Racism and Radicalism in the Services, Inc. (STARRS) Town Hall meeting, a former Permanent Professor and Department Chair reached out to STARRS with concerns.  Six full Permanent Professors resigned in protest from the U.S. Air Force Academy for the following main reasons: a dean of faculty with virtually no operational experience who was uncommitted to academic excellence and contemptuous of the Honor Code; a purposeful intent to establish low rigor majors to mirror the academic ability of intercollegiate athletes; the use of intimidation to silence full professors; a deliberate policy to accentuate the influence of civilian faculty to the detriment of military instructors; and an overall decline of academic quality available to cadets.

Two of the Permanent Professors explain why they left in protest in the following statement submitted to STARRS:

“The departure of 6 Permanent Professors (PPs) from the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) between the fall of 2017 and the fall of 2018 was not due to any single incident or event but was certainly a final choice that many of us were brought to by years of poor leadership, outright rejection of institutional values, continual eroding of standards both in cadet classrooms and leadership environments, and unethical, vindictive actions engaged in by those placed in authority. 

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/11/04/culture_change_at_the_united_states_air_force_academy_990551.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 09:54:43 pm »
Sounds about right.

West Point was hammered over these very same issues several years ago.

The global left has had  great success at establishing toeholds in our government.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 02:36:32 am »
“The departure of 6 Permanent Professors (PPs) from the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) between the fall of 2017 and the fall of 2018 was not due to any single incident or event but was certainly a final choice that many of us were brought to by years of poor leadership, outright rejection of institutional values, continual eroding of standards both in cadet classrooms and leadership environments, and unethical, vindictive actions engaged in by those placed in authority. 

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/11/04/culture_change_at_the_united_states_air_force_academy_990551.html

Hey, who was President then?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 03:38:34 am »
Hey, who was President then?

@Maj. Bill Martin

I am guessing it  was Trump  because you don't seem interested in assigning blame to  ANYONE else for ANYTHING.

Why don't you just grow a pair and register and vote Dim  and be done with it?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 04:50:54 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I am guessing it  was Trump  because you don't seem interested in assigning blame to  ANYONE else for ANYTHING.

Why don't you just grow a pair and register and vote Dim  and be done with it?

You never hold him accountable for anything.  Everything he does wrong, and everything good he fails to do, is never his fault.  It's always the fault of someone else - his advisors, the "Uniparty", whatever.  And he's not responsible because he was new to the job, blah blah blah.

He cared nothing about the military except when they saluted him.  He liked that.  Otherwise, he figured most military people were stupid and not worth his time.  So he just ignored that part of his job.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 05:48:22 am »
I beg to differ.  I think Trump admired military folks, that is why he had 4-5 of them in key positions of his administration from the day he was elected.  But of course, many of these men rose under Obamas eight years as POTUS, and every last one of them was a liberal in my mind.

Obama purged 4,500 senior officers from the military while POTUS.  What were left were the Milley panzies.  And Trump sucked them up into his administration, and kept over 1,000 - 1,500 Obama appointees for well over a year in his administration.  It was no mystery why he had leaks like the damn Titanic!

The academies are no different than the general culture in America.  Our republic is lost, and communists are hard at work destroying everything.  That includes the institutions of higher learning, academies are not exempted from the destruction.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 05:51:06 am by jafo2010 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 06:35:14 am »
You never hold him accountable for anything.  Everything he does wrong, and everything good he fails to do, is never his fault.  It's always the fault of someone else - his advisors, the "Uniparty", whatever.  And he's not responsible because he was new to the job, blah blah blah.

He cared nothing about the military except when they saluted him.  He liked that.  Otherwise, he figured most military people were stupid and not worth his time. So he just ignored that part of his job.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Ahhh,now you are reduced to projection.

Yeah,I was a career NCO in the US Army,and you were a career Officer. I can't speak for you,but I CAN  speak for me,and if *I* had been born  a millionaire in a wealthy family,I probably wouldn't have served a day,either. As it was,I  was told when I was in the 3rd grade that "You had better do good in school because you are out of the house when you turn 18.",and since I had no relatives,I didn't have many options.

Not that I minded. Once I got in SF I had "found my home",and would have happily remained in uniform until I "aged out" if I had of had that chance. I ended up on permanent physical profile after being medi-evaced from VN,and since I was then off of jump status and out of SF and in the regular army because of it,I took a discharge. I HATED the regular army with  a passion. Seemed like everybody spent more time trying to get out of doing anything than they did working,and I just wasn't used to that. As I have written before,I have had 0-3's volunteer to help me  fill sand bags in SF when I was a E-5,and in the regular army,the typical 0-3 seemed to think they were princes who were doing you a favor by returning a salute,and you would NEVER see a RA 0-3 filling a sandbag,ever.

I knew I had it GOOD in SF,but I never had any idea how "good" I had it until I had to serve in the RA army.

AND......,given the attitudes  of the typical E-1 to E-4 back  then,I can't honestly say I blame the officers for acting that way.

Being a NCO was more like being a reform school guard than it was being a soldier back then.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 06:43:36 am »
I beg to differ.  I think Trump admired military folks, that is why he had 4-5 of them in key positions of his administration from the day he was elected.  But of course, many of these men rose under Obamas eight years as POTUS, and every last one of them was a liberal in my mind.

Obama purged 4,500 senior officers from the military while POTUS.  What were left were the Milley panzies.  And Trump sucked them up into his administration, and kept over 1,000 - 1,500 Obama appointees for well over a year in his administration.  It was no mystery why he had leaks like the damn Titanic!

The academies are no different than the general culture in America. Our republic is lost, and communists are hard at work destroying everything.  That includes the institutions of higher learning, academies are not exempted from the destruction.

Sadly,I agree. They may even be worse,given that the typical academy graduate these days seem to think they are some form of royalty,and the enlisted swine are their servants. Kinda hard to tell who is the most worthless.

This obviously excludes outfits like the Ranger Brigades and the SF Teams because nobody is in either unless they volunteered to be there and are willing to work hard to stay there. Once again,with the obvious exceptions of "made men" like Miss Miley,who spent her whole career avoiding combat as anything but an observer from a long ways away,or anything physical.

Then again,I suspect it has always been that way for people with "rabbi's in high places". You can't blame the parasites like Miss Miley without placing more blame on the politicians that enable and  protect them.

I have no idea what it is like in any  other service branch.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 02:45:00 pm »
I served under two COs on the carrier I was aboard.  The first was pure academy, the second started as an E-1 and had the command of a carrier 19 years later.  He was a tough nut, but a fair tough nut.  As an example, shortly after he took command, he got in the enlisted man's chow line unannounced.  When he got to the serving line, he called the commissary officer over and told him if he wanted to make the Navy a career, he had better get rid of the slop they were serving and never to have meals for his crew again like that.  He also had been in line over an hour and said his men were never to be in line over a 1/2 hour and never were again.  They were both fine officers but the second understood the needs of the EM better and got more from his crew.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 02:47:55 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2023, 03:34:44 pm »
It seemed it didn't matter who the Carrier CO was. I was more affected by my Lieutenant and Chiefs. My first Lieutenant was a great guy. He was Senior Mustang Lieutenant and was let go when he was passed over for promotion. I enjoyed working under him, but he plowed on the work on my shoulders. I was a Radar and IFF Tech and he added on Ops Dept Supply PO and Test Equipment Repair and Cal PO. My chief was a Real bleep. He had been a Master of Arms and switched over to Radar Electronics when it became a critical skill. I was only saved by my Master Chief, a great guy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 03:35:30 pm by Elderberry »