Author Topic: Turning pain into power: How a grieving mother transformed a neglected block near Detroit into a vil  (Read 546 times)

Offline libertybele

I used to live in the outskirts of the Detroit area.  I worked outside of the Detroit area and also had the opportunity to see several attempts to revitalize Detroit. Those many attempts failed. At any rate, this is a beautiful, 'feel good' story.  The transformation isn't perfect, but it is from the heart and helping children and their parents to thrive.

Video is @ link -- a very heartwarming story.  Love still exists in this world!

Turning pain into power: How a grieving mother transformed a neglected block near Detroit into a village of beauty and opportunity

Every parent’s worst nightmare is losing their child. Shamayim Harris has lived through that nightmare – twice.

On September 23, 2007, her 2-year-old son, Jakobi Ra, was struck and killed in a hit-and-run in Highland Park, a suburb of Detroit.

“I literally thought that I wouldn’t be able to function or be alive or anything,” she recalled.

In 2021, she experienced that heart-wrenching loss again when her 23-year-old son, Chinyelu, was shot and killed while doing a neighborhood watch in his community.

As she faced her profound grief, she also discovered her strong determination to channel it into something good. For the last 15 years, her trauma has fueled her mission to transform her struggling, neglected community into a vibrant village.............

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/16/us/detroit-real-estate-safety-education-sustainability-opportunity-grief-cnnheroes/index.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 Shamayim Harris son Chinyelu.  Dayum the Ghetto name generator was on overload that day.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Shamayim Harris son Chinyelu.  Dayum the Ghetto name generator was on overload that day.

22222frying pan   Perhaps, but her heart is full of love trying to help others.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
22222frying pan   Perhaps, but her heart is full of love trying to help others.

She should have started with naming her kid Sue.

Offline libertybele

She should have started with naming her kid Sue.

:silly:  Ah ... that one made me chuckle.

Offline Wingnut