Author Topic: On this day in history, November 3, 1956, 'The Wizard of Oz' debuts on TV, elevates film to American  (Read 850 times)

Online libertybele

I grew up with the Wizard of OZ and have seen it several times,

On this day in history, November 3, 1956, 'The Wizard of Oz' debuts on TV, elevates film to American classic

"The Wizard of Oz," the Hollywood epic beloved by generations of Americans for its fantastical allegory rooted in love of heartland, home and family, appeared on television for the first time on this date in history, Nov. 3, 1956.

"For generations, this 1939 MGM fantasy musical has held a cherished place in American popular culture," reported the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.

"With its dazzling special effects, costumes and sets rendered in vibrant Technicolor, ‘The Wizard of Oz’ represents one of the greatest achievements in movie magic."

"The Wizard of Oz" was a best-selling 1900 book by Frank L. Baum. The story enjoyed several stage and screen productions in the decades that followed.

The 1939 film featured 17-year-old actress Judy Garland performing "Over the Rainbow," her beloved terrier Toto, a terrifying tornado and the groundbreaking use of color technology.

It became a critical success and was nominated for six Academy Awards.....................

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-nov-3-1956-wizard-oz-debuts-tv
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 08:13:26 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

It was always such a big deal when it was going to be on TV. We had  :pop41: and ooohed and aaahhhed appropriately, like when it went from B&W to color.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online berdie

It was always such a big deal when it was going to be on TV. We had  :pop41: and ooohed and aaahhhed appropriately, like when it went from B&W to color.

We didn't get a color tv for a really long time, so it took me a while to see the transformation. I always got scared over the Wicked Witch. It sure took it a long time to be shown on tv.

My nieces, OTOH, had it on video and watched it 2 or 3 times a day.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Like Berdie, for years I thought "The Wizard of Oz" was just another black-and-white film -- because the television was black-and-white.

I got a surprise when we finally got a color tv in the 1960's...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

We didn't get a color tv for a really long time, so it took me a while to see the transformation. I always got scared over the Wicked Witch. It sure took it a long time to be shown on tv.

My nieces, OTOH, had it on video and watched it 2 or 3 times a day.
We had B&W TV, and a whole three channels. It was years before I saw it in color, but when I did, it was like a who 'nother movie.

Even in B&W, the Wicked Witch of the West creeped me out, too, especially the part with the hourglass. It held all of the dread of being on death row awaiting the execution.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:01:01 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online berdie

We had B&W TV, and a whole three channels. It was years before I saw it in color, but when I did, it was like a who 'nother movie.

Even in B&W, the Wicked Witch of the West creeped me out, too, especially the part with the hourglass. It held all of the dread of being on death row awaiting the execution.

The hour glass scene always made me sit next to mom or pop...whoever was closest. :laugh: And when the pre-wicked witch put ToTo in the basket always made me cry. It's a wonder how we made it thru that movie without being damaged as adults. :rolling:

Online Polly Ticks

We had a B&W TV until the early 1980's with two channels most of the time and a really snowy third one when the weather was just right.

The hourglass was creepy, yes ... but the scarecrow getting his stuffing ripped out was always super distressing, too.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Grandma in the 60's bought a Sylvania color TV. She was a little impulsive and it was not cheap, but it had the most rich color of any TV I've ever seen. Dang if it didn't last almost 30 years too.

There was nothing like watching TWOO on that thing, the colors practically jumped out and slapped you in the face.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Grandma in the 60's bought a Sylvania color TV. She was a little impulsive and it was not cheap, but it had the most rich color of any TV I've ever seen. Dang if it didn't last almost 30 years too.

There was nothing like watching TWOO on that thing, the colors practically jumped out and slapped you in the face.
When I finally saw it in color, it was amazing! (and like a different movie)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis