Author Topic: Major wind energy developer scraps two big offshore projects  (Read 997 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Major wind energy developer scraps two big offshore projects
« on: November 02, 2023, 12:44:01 pm »
NBC News 11/1/2023

The move by Orsted, a Danish company, adds fresh uncertainty to an industry supporters see as a way to help end the burning of planet-warming fossil fuels.

Wind energy developer Orsted is writing off $4 billion, due largely to the cancellation of two large offshore wind projects in New Jersey whose financial challenges mirror those facing the nascent industry.

It added fresh uncertainty to an industry seen by supporters as a way to help end the burning of planet-warming fossil fuels, but derided by opponents as inherently unworkable without massive financial subsidies.

The Danish company said Tuesday night it is scrapping its Ocean Wind I and II projects off the coast of southern New Jersey due to problems with supply chains, higher interest rates, and a failure to obtain the amount of tax credits the company wanted.

“These are obviously some very tough decisions,” Mads Nipper, Orsted’s CEO, said on an earnings conference call Wednesday.

He said the company, the world’s largest offshore wind developer, decided “to de-risk the most painful part of our portfolio, and that is the U.S.”

That statement went straight to the heart about concerns over the financial viability of the offshore wind industry in the northeastern U.S., which is in its infancy but has extensive plans from New England to the Carolinas.

Some projects already have been canceled, and many offshore wind developers are seeking better terms from governments with whom they have already contracted. New York rejected such a request two weeks ago.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/major-wind-developer-scraps-two-major-offshore-wind-projects-rcna123190

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Major wind energy developer scraps two big offshore projects
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 11:37:21 am »
N.J. gale batters Biden’s offshore wind goals
By NIINA H. FARAH  11/01/2023 06:00 PM EDT
Presented by Chevron

Two Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind pilot turbines located 27 miles off the coast of Virginia Beach, Va.
New Jersey has gone from the aspirational epicenter for offshore wind to a graveyard of Ørsted projects. | Kelsey Tamborrino/POLITICO

The cancellation of one of the largest offshore wind projects in U.S. history is dealing another blow to a fledgling industry that’s key to the Biden administration’s climate goals.

Danish wind developer Ørsted announced late Tuesday that it is no longer moving forward with Ocean Wind, a pair of projects off the New Jersey coast that would have provided power to about 1 million people.

CEO David Hardy cited high inflation, rising interest rates and supply chain bottlenecks as leaving the company “no choice but to cease development.“

“We are extremely disappointed to have to take this decision, particularly because New Jersey is poised to be a U.S. and global hub for offshore wind energy,” Hardy said in a news release.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/11/01/n-j-gale-batters-bidens-offshore-wind-goals-00124705
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson