Author Topic: Democrats scrap plans to vote on Greene censure resolution  (Read 260 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats scrap plans to vote on Greene censure resolution
« on: November 02, 2023, 01:15:47 am »
 Democrats scrap plans to vote on Greene censure resolution
by Mychael Schnell and Mike Lillis - 11/01/23 8:12 PM ET

House Democrats scrapped plans to vote on a resolution to censure Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) on Wednesday, a last-minute move that came immediately after a coalition of Republicans joined with Democrats in torpedoing a resolution to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) over her criticism of Israel.

The two censure measures were largely viewed as tit-for-tat efforts. Greene moved to force a vote on her resolution censuring Tlaib last week, taking aim at her criticisms of Israel in the wake of last month’s deadly attacks by Hamas.

Soon after Greene launched her effort, first-term Rep. Becca Balint (D-Vt.) used the same procedural gambit to force a vote on her resolution — which she introduced in July — to censure the Georgia Republican for controversial comments she has made over the past five years, setting the stage for Wednesday’s referendum.

The House was slated to vote on a Democrat-led effort to “table” the resolution Wednesday evening. But after 23 Republicans joined Democrats in voting to table the Tlaib resolution, which blocked the measure from hitting the floor, Balint said she would “hold back on the vote for now.”

“The fact remains that my Republican colleagues have allowed Rep. Greene to spew hatred and bigotry for far too long. Vermonters sent me to Congress to uphold the values of fairness and truth, and to protect our democracy. That means speaking out against a bully. I was fully prepared to move my resolution forward, and I plan to call this up for a vote at any time should we see continued vile rhetoric from Rep. Greene and her colleagues,” Balint said in a statement.

But she added, “when 23 Republicans said ‘no’ to Rep. Greene’s bigotry, I saw this situation a little differently. I want to thank them for doing the right thing. And I’m going to hold back on the vote for now.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4288627-democrats-scrap-plans-to-vote-on-greene-censure-resolution/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34