Author Topic: Tragedy as American ice hockey star Adam Johnson dies aged 29 'after skate slashed his throat in fre  (Read 1760 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail by Iwan Stone and Katherine Lawton and Tom Cotterill 10/29/2023

Tragedy as American ice hockey star Adam Johnson dies aged 29 'after skate slashed his throat in freak accident during match': Devastated mother reveals 'I've lost half of my heart' as club pays tribute

An ice hockey star who is believed to have taken a blade to his throat in a horrific injury during a game has died aged 29, his family have said.

Adam Johnson's injury was so horrific it forced the game to be abandoned and left traumatised fans in tears.

The Minnesota-born athlete is believed to have been struck in the neck by an ice hockey blade in a freak accident at the match between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers at Utilita Arena Sheffield this evening.

His mother Kari took to social media to share her heartbreak this morning - telling friends: 'I lost half of my heart today.'

And his club said they were 'truly devastated' by the news - paying tribute to 'a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him'.

The Elite Ice Hockey League said they were 'heartbroken' to confirm the 'deeply upsetting' news - and have postponed all games scheduled to take place today.

Devastated fans have taken to social media to share their grief for the Minnesota-born star, using the hashtag 'sticksoutfor47' - a reference to the number Mr Johnson wore.

Around 8,000 fans saw the nightmare collision last night before the game was quickly stopped and screens were brought onto the pitch to protect the players involved. The match was later abandoned.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12685037/American-ice-hockey-Adam-Johnson-diesthroat-slashed-skate-UK-mother.html

Online libertybele

Such a horrific tragedy - prayers for the family of Johnson and his team and the opposition team as well.   8888crybaby
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Around 8,000 fans saw the nightmare collision last night before the game was quickly stopped and screens were brought onto the pitch to protect the players involved. The match was later abandoned.

RIP, sir, and prayers up for you and your loved ones.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Looked to me like the other player may have intentionally kicked Johnson in the neck. Of course, dirty play in hockey is nothing new.
Adam Johnson: Police probe ice hockey death as fiancée pays tribute
1 hour ago
BBC

... Nottingham Panthers' Adam Johnson's neck was cut by a skate during a game against the Sheffield Steelers on Saturday.

Johnson was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

His fiancée, Ryan Wolfe, said: "I'll miss you forever and love you always."

South Yorkshire Police, which was called to the Utilita Arena in Sheffield, said it was "normal procedure" to open an investigation when an incident was reported.

A force spokesperson added: "Our officers remain at the scene carrying out inquiries.  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Anybody else following this?  Earlier this week a hockey player died on the ice after what was reportedly a "freak accident."  But now, it's looking more and more like manslaughter. 

Warning--GRAPHIC VIDEO embedded at link:   

https://twitchy.com/grateful-calvin/2023/10/30/hockey-news-calls-increase-on-social-media-for-matt-petgraves-arrest-after-death-of-adam-johnson-n2389207

https://twitter.com/Anc_Aesthetics/status/1718816215055941690

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Looks like malice aforethought.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Looks like malice aforethought.

Petgrave's apparently a goon enforcer and recklessly tried to drop kick Johnson in the face with his skate, slashing his neck open in the process.  I found the whole video (which is getting difficult via censorship) and blood was spewing everywhere after Johnson got up, and then collapsed on his way back to the bench.  It was indeed gruesome.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online mountaineer

It certainly appeared he intended to hurt Johnson, and not just slightly.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Never should have taught hood thugs to skate.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

DC_Draino
@DC_Draino
Instead of banning & criminally prosecuting the most penalized hockey player in the league who just intentionally kicked a guy in the throat, the English hockey league is mandating neck guards for everyone
This is what happens when social justice replaces actual justice
1:08 PM · Oct 31, 2023

Story:
English ice hockey makes neck guards mandatory after death of US player
South Yorkshire Police are investigating the death of American ice hockey player Adam Johnson after his neck was cut by a skate blade in an English game
By The Associated Press
October 30, 2023, 2:37 PM

... The English Ice Hockey Association, which governs the sport below the Elite League, reacted to Johnson's death by requiring all players in England to wear neck guards from the start of 2024.

Neck guards will be mandatory from Jan. 1 for all on-ice activities. The EIHA gave on Monday its "strong recommendation" that all players start wearing a neck guard, effective immediately. It said neck guards would not be mandatory immediately because of anticipated supply issues. ...
Associated Press via ABC News

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Holy shit, going to be hard to prove it was on purpose though.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:45:39 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Online goatprairie

I've watched quite a few Stanley Cup games in the last thirty years, and I've never seen anything like that. I've seen a few instances of spearing but nobody deliberately trying to slash somebody with their skates.
That looks pretty bad for Petgrave.

Online libertybele

When the news first broke of the incident it was made to sound like it was an accident; apparently not. If indeed it was on purpose; how purely evil.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

I've watched quite a few Stanley Cup games in the last thirty years, and I've never seen anything like that. I've seen a few instances of spearing but nobody deliberately trying to slash somebody with their skates.
That looks pretty bad for Petgrave.

Nothing will happen to him.  Black privilege.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Looked like he kicked him (on purpose) to me too. I noticed after the kick he seemed to know it hit true and turned to watch his victim without a care in the world.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Nothing will happen to him.  Black privilege.
As usual. Black people have become super-citizens in America. Not only are they above the law, they are put on a pedestal above not just White people, but above ALL other races in the world. Black people have become a kind of royalty.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online goatprairie

After reading that it was a "freak" accident, I looked at the video expecting to see some multi-player collision that happens a lot during hockey games.
Instead, it looked like Petgrave deliberately skated up to Johnson and launched himself skate first at Johnson's neck. I didn't see anybody bump Petgrave before the slashing. What the hell was he thinking?

Offline Polly Ticks

I happened to see that video on Tuesday, and I'm definitely not watching it again, but I agree it looked 100% intentional.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Would you want to be on the same ice as this guy?

(Nope.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Would you want to be on the same ice as this guy?

(Nope.)

Even the Hanson's would have  knocked his ass out for that BS.
-Slap Shot reference for those not playing along.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Unconfirmed reports that Petgrave has been arrested.

Citizen Free Press
@CitizenFreePres
It appears Matt Petgrave has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in the ice hockey death of Adam Johnson. Not confirmed.
SKY - "A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the death of Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson."

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1724468397558120812

Offline Polly Ticks

Unconfirmed reports that Petgrave has been arrested.

Citizen Free Press
@CitizenFreePres
It appears Matt Petgrave has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in the ice hockey death of Adam Johnson. Not confirmed.
SKY - "A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the death of Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson."

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1724468397558120812

Hubby and I were just talking about this incident last night, wondering where things stood with the investigation.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online goatprairie

I'm still reading accounts in the mainstream news that it was a "freak accident" and that Petgrave was bumped before he sliced open Johnson's neck.
Baloney.  9999hair out0000 I looked at the video five or six times looking to see if Petgrave was pushed/bumped/shoved by another player forcing him to launch himself at Johnson's neck. I didn't see anything like that.
It looked for all the world that Petgrave simply launched himself feet first at Johnson's neck. He is also known as the dirtiest player in the league. So, no surprise that he would do something like what he did to Johnson.