Author Topic: Infantry fighting vehicles that run silent and carry a battery that can charge soldiers’ systems?  (Read 276 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

675 views  Oct 21, 2023
Infantry fighting vehicles that run silent and carry a battery that can charge soldiers’ systems? GM Defense is working on a range of electric Army solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3aAvMF0qc
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Almost everywhere else in the world EVs are headed for the great scrap heap in the sky.  Not in our woke military though. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So what will 'silently' charge these boondoggles in the field so they can charge our soldiers systems, diesel or gas generators?

Offline roamer_1

I can understand the impulse. My experience is probably not as complicated, but just before my physical drama, I was changing out my go-bag to rely on more electronics, and at that, rechargeable electronics.

I hadn't gotten very far with it, but stuff I carried all the time, mainly lights (head lamp, mini-mag), were converted to be rechargeable USB, and additional gear added, like cell phone, GPS/InTouch, Radio...

All of these things are selected with USB type C charging in mind, which required carrying a power brick, and a roll-up 120w solar panel to charge the brick, and additionally, all the cordage involved. In a primitive environment, in a very spartan kit, it was a huge change.

But the real hinge-point didn't become evident until I hit long-term use. Everything is fine for a weekend hike. but get much beyond that, and reliance on electronics gets kinda iffy... in my case, it came down to keeping the brick charged, and that was a thing... The panel I carried was effective, but required an hours-long layover, waiting for that brick to charge, and that, not always successful... The times out hunting and during winter or stormy weather - all times when electric gear was more used and reliance was more necessary, was exactly when sun tended to be rare, and bright sun was unlikely.

All that to say I can understand the impulse.  happy77
Once one begins to rely on modern things in primitive conditions, recharging becomes paramount. Now, if I am in reach of base camp (my truck), a small jenny fixes the issue... My over-landing gear has also been modded with solar panels and a jenny for additional capability at base camp... But soldiers may not want all that noise.