Author Topic: Do troops have right to unanimous verdicts? Supreme Court could weigh in  (Read 191 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Do troops have right to unanimous verdicts? Supreme Court could weigh in
By Irene Loewenson
 Oct 27, 02:35 PM

The top military court, the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, decided in a 5-0 ruling in June that service members aren’t entitled to unanimous verdicts, confirming that a service member can be convicted and sentenced to prison time even if up to a quarter of the jury believes them to be not guilty.

Air Force Master Sgt. Anthony Anderson’s petition, filed on Monday, could open the door for the nation’s highest court to overturn centuries-long precedent in the military legal system.

“The petition presents to the court an important issue of constitutional law that affects millions of Americans, and we’re hopeful that the court will agree to review the decision of the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces,” Scott Gant of the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner, which is representing Anderson, told Military Times on Wednesday.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2023/10/27/do-troops-have-right-to-unanimous-verdicts-supreme-court-could-weigh-in/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Do troops have right to unanimous verdicts? Supreme Court could weigh in
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 03:57:20 pm »
Does a kangaroo have a right to hop?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson