Author Topic: Binge drinking, alcohol abuse remains significant challenge for vets  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Binge drinking, alcohol abuse remains significant challenge for vets
By Leo Shane III
 Oct 26, 02:04 PM

Veterans of every age group are more likely to binge drink or abuse alcohol than Americans who never served, but are also slightly more open to seeking help for those problems than their civilian peers, according to new research released this week by the RAND corporation.

The findings from the RAND Epstein Family Veterans Policy Research Institute follow past studies of high rates of alcohol abuse in the military, indicating those problems do not end when troops leave the ranks.

Researchers did not find similar problems with other potential substance abuse issues. According to federal data, the rate of illicit drug use, opioid misuse, marijuana abuse or any drug use disorder was roughly the same for veterans and non-veterans in recent years.

But alcohol abuse remains a particular problem point for the veterans community. Researchers found nearly 23% of veterans surveyed in federal studies reported binge drinking — four or more drinks in a day for women and five or more drinks in a day for men — in the last month, and about 5% reported having an alcohol use disorder.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2023/10/26/binge-drinking-alcohol-abuse-remains-significant-challenge-for-vets/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Binge drinking, alcohol abuse remains significant challenge for vets
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 04:43:26 pm »
... seeking temporary relief from their restless minds.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:47:29 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.