Author Topic: Yellen: Rising Cost of Debt Is Due to Strong Economy, Not Large Deficit  (Read 813 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yellen: Rising Cost of Debt Is Due to Strong Economy, Not Large Deficit

Ian Hanchett 27 Oct 2023

During an interview with Bloomberg on Thursday, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen stated that the rise in Treasury yields that increases the cost of the U.S. government borrowing money isn’t largely connected to the deficit, but is largely “a reflection of the resilience that people are seeing in the U.S. economy that we’re not having a recession, that consumer spending and demand continue to be strong, the economy is continuing to show tremendous robustness.”

Bloomberg Washington Bureau Chief Peggy Collins asked, “We have seen yields surging over the last few weeks. The 10-year Treasury rose above 5% earlier this week. What’s your view on what is driving that surge in yields, and how much of it is connected to investor’s concerns about the U.S. deficit?”

Yellen responded, “I don’t think much of it is connected to that. This is a global phenomenon in advanced countries. We are seeing yields go up in most advanced countries of the world. And, largely, I think it’s a reflection of the resilience that people are seeing in the U.S. economy that we’re not having a recession, that consumer spending and demand continue to be strong, the economy is continuing to show tremendous robustness. And that suggests that interest rates are likely to stay higher for longer. And so, part of the increase in yields, I think, is simply a reflection of the strength of the economy, the notion that interest rates will be higher for longer. Now, whether or not that’s really true if we look out five or ten years what are interest rates likely to do, honestly, for a very long time we have felt that interest rates over decades had been coming down — real interest rates — and that there were deep structural reasons for that, in part relating to demographics. And those underlying trends, they’re still there, they’re still in force. So, I think it’s perfectly possible that we will see longer-term yields come down, but nobody really knows for sure. But I see the higher yields as, certainly, importantly, a reflection of a stronger economy.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/27/yellen-rising-cost-of-debt-payment-is-due-to-strong-economy-not-large-deficit/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Yellen: Rising Cost of Debt Is Due to Strong Economy, Not Large Deficit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 01:29:54 pm »
Yellen on Poor Views of Economy: People ‘Seem to Feel Good About Their Own Personal Finances’

During an interview with Bloomberg on Thursday, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen reacted to negative sentiment on the direction of the American economy by stating that people “have been through a lot with the pandemic and the lockdown for almost two years, then a period of high inflation” and there are structural issues that have existed for a while, but people “do seem to feel good about their own personal finances.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/27/yellen-on-poor-views-of-economy-people-seem-to-feel-good-about-their-own-personal-finances/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 02:19:25 pm »
Janet Yellen is an IDIOT!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 02:19:50 pm »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 02:26:11 pm »
Yellen must be a graduate of the AOC school of economics.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 02:34:22 pm »

She believes in Fairy tales and unicorns!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 02:58:10 pm »

It's actually "Modern Monetary Theory", which is basically academic bullshit for government-worshiping Ivy League economists. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 03:01:28 pm »
It's actually "Modern Monetary Theory", which is basically academic bullshit for government-worshiping Ivy League economists.

Unicorn pharts and pixie dust!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 03:06:22 pm »
Both are true.

The economy and the Federal Government are competing with each other in the capital markets.  That drives up demand for capital and the cost of capital (interest rates).

A (1) month bank certificate of deposit pays a higher rate than a (60) month CD.

Duration = risk

The shortest duration (lowest risk) CD is paying more than a longer duration (higher risk) CD.  This is interest rate inversion.

This indicates there is a cash / liquidity crunch.  Someone or something is sucking cash / liquid capital from the short term markets.  There's nothing that sucks more than the Federal Government.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 02:01:50 pm »
Wall Street Silver
@WallStreetSilv
The Fed is meeting currently to decide the next move on how they get out of this mess.
A decision is expected soon ...

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1719700828615790724
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 09:42:00 am »
>cough cough< Bullshit! >cough<
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 10:16:14 pm »
What's with the stock market?
Went up 300+ yesterday.
And about 465 more today.

Are they bullish on "collapse"?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 03:50:54 pm »
Logic escapes this band of idiots. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.