Author Topic: Statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee Melted Down  (Read 1465 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee Melted Down
« on: October 27, 2023, 12:07:00 pm »
NEWSMAX 10/26/2023

A statue of a U.S. Civil War general for the pro-slavery Confederacy that became the focus of protests for racial justice has been melted down in secret, The Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The towering bronze statue of General Robert E. Lee, who commanded the Army of Northern Virginia during the bloody 1861-65 conflict, was removed in July 2021 from a public park in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The Post said the statue, which had been handed over to the city's Black history museum, was melted down on Saturday at a foundry whose location is being kept secret.

Tensions over the fate of the Lee statue led to violence in August 2017 when an avowed white nationalist drove his car into a crowd of demonstrators in Charlottesville.

More: https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/statue-general-lee/2023/10/26/id/1139847/

Online mountaineer

Re: Statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee Melted Down
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 12:11:39 pm »
 :crying:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 12:13:35 pm »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:33:49 pm »
Where they burn statues, people are next.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 01:29:49 pm »
Where they burn statues, people are next.

Seems that way doesn't it?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 03:41:45 pm »
"Everything faded into mist. The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth."
-- 1984, George Orwell.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 03:55:14 pm »
General Robert E. Lee was also a West-Point graduate and American hero of the 1848 Mexican-American War.

The snowflakes around Mass are forcing schools to change their Native American mascots.  Granted, some could be more historically accurate, but they helped keep the memory of Native American history and culture alive in modern times.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 07:03:41 pm »
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
―  1984, George Orwell

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 07:42:15 pm »
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
―  1984, George Orwell

I always thought 1984 was fiction. Boy was I wrong!

Offline roamer_1

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 08:37:16 pm »
I always thought 1984 was fiction. Boy was I wrong!
It's become the DNC's instruction manual.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 08:44:00 pm »
We are the generation that remembers patriotism and the history of our nation.  That sense of patriotism or factual history is not being taught in our schools. Only those children who are home schooled or who have parents that instill those values and history in their children will know the past. Erase history, erase our constitution and Gen Z and millennials won't know, nor care.  That is what we are up against.  IMHO that is what we need to pushback on more than anything.

Years ago, Rush Limbaugh wrote the Rush Revere series -- so very important.  I bought the books for our eldest grandson.

Beck suggested buying as many history books (true history) as possible because soon they will not be available.

History is being erased for a reason.

I do remember Trump wanting to make a national park that had historical monuments telling the story of our country.  That was a great concept that he came up with; unfortunately it will never come to fruition with him not serving a 2nd term.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 08:46:15 pm »
George Orwell was a Biritsh Intelligence officer during World War II ... it was probably his job to study both the Nazis and the Stalinists ... in the Post-War period, the Maoists were also on the march in China as he wrote 1984.

George Orwell was probably one of the greatest Political Scientists of the 20th Century.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:47:14 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 11:29:32 pm »
Destroying works of art is no better than what the Taliban did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of_Bamiyan
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 12:33:01 am »
   Nikki Haley bought into this $hit before it was even mainstream.    9999hair out0000 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 12:37:48 am »
   Nikki Haley bought into this $hit before it was even mainstream.    9999hair out0000

Yup.   She screwed the pooch on that for me. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 01:23:37 am »

Yes indeed, she was the one who started the whole trend of attacking and canceling Confederate history when she ordered the removal of historical Confederate flags from the South Carolina statehouse, just to pander to the race baiters.

Flashback:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/confederate-flag-furor/gov-haley-sign-bill-removing-confederate-flag-n389231
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 03:06:42 am »
Yup.   She screwed the pooch on that for me.

Yup too.... Nevermore.  :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 09:30:49 am »
Yup too.... Nevermore.  :beer:
Just one thing, but definitely enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2023, 03:28:39 pm »
Tactical Wisdom
@DolioJ
Never Forget what they did.
As soon as we take power, Floyd statues must be melted down.
10:54 AM · Oct 28, 2023

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2023, 09:19:32 pm »

Gettysburg 50th reunion.

Sad that useful idiots are hell bent on disrespecting them.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 12:38:26 am »

Gettysburg 50th reunion.

Sad that useful idiots are hell bent on disrespecting them.
Sadder still that the reasons for that fight have been reduced to a couple of bumper stickers worth of "history".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2023, 04:04:44 am »
I consider the destruction of that statue a criminal act.

Getting real tired of the black movement to destroy our history.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 11:43:09 am »
"I can only say that while I have considered the preservation of the constitutional power of the General Government to be the foundation of our peace and safety at home and abroad, I yet believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people, not only essential to the adjustment and balance of the general system, but the safeguard to the continuance of a free government. I consider it as the chief source of stability to our political system, whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it."

~ Robert E. Lee, December 15, 1866