Author Topic: Consumer Spending Sends GDP Soaring 4.9% in The Third Quarter  (Read 633 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Consumer Spending Sends GDP Soaring 4.9% in The Third Quarter
« on: October 26, 2023, 01:19:19 pm »
John Carney 26 Oct 2023

Americans stepped up their spending as the summer came to a close this year, powering a big surge in economic growth.

The U.S. economy expanded at a seasonally- and inflation-adjusted annual rate of 4.7 percent in the third quarter, more than twice the 2.1 percent pace of the second quarter.

The strength of growth this year has surprised economists and policymakers, many of whom expected the economy would slip into a recession this year as a series of rate hikes by the Federal Reserve gripped the economy. Instead, the economy has continued to grow and even accelerate as the year progressed.

Over the past several months, views of the third quarter have steadily become more bullish. A year ago, an analysis from Bloomberg Economics saw a 100 percent chance of a recession within 12 months. As recently as April, economists were expecting a mild contraction in the third and fourth quarter. In July, many were predicting only marginal growth in the third quarter—despite real-time estimates such as the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta’s GDPNOW showing growth would come in closer to five percent.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2023/10/26/consumer-spending-sends-gdp-soaring-4-9-in-the-third-quarter/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: Consumer Spending Sends GDP Soaring 4.9% in The Third Quarter
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 01:31:52 pm »
It seems that, despite their complaints about high inflation, people are still spending and buying things

If things don’t get worse, Biden would be able to point at the economy now versus the one he inherited

All Joe Biden needs is for things not to worsen

The American economy is resilient.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 01:38:05 pm »
They are buying on credit. 

That is a whole lot of not good.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 03:16:36 pm »
The Truth Behind the Q3 GDP Surge
Spencer Brown
5–6 minutes

The United States Economy grew by 4.9 percent in the third quarter according to the advance estimate for real GDP released by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis on Thursday morning, beating the consensus expectation of 4.3 percent.

As the BEA's release on the third quarter estimate explained:

The increase in real GDP reflected increases in consumer spending, private inventory investment, exports, state and local government spending, federal government spending, and residential fixed investment that were partly offset by a decrease in nonresidential fixed investment...Imports, which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP, increased.

The increase in consumer spending reflected increases in both services and goods. Within services, the leading contributors were housing and utilities, health care, financial services and insurance, and food services and accommodations. Within goods, the leading contributors to the increase were other nondurable goods (led by prescription drugs) as well as recreational goods and vehicles. The increase in private inventory investment reflected increases in manufacturing and retail trade. Within nonresidential fixed investment, a decrease in equipment was partly offset by increases in intellectual property products and structures.

Compared to the second quarter, the acceleration in real GDP in the third quarter reflected accelerations in consumer spending, private inventory investment, and federal government spending and upturns in exports and residential fixed investment. These movements were partly offset by a downturn in nonresidential fixed investment and a deceleration in state and local government spending. Imports turned up.

Notably, the Q3 number covering the period from July through September is more than double the 2.1 percent growth recorded in the second quarter — but it's not necessarily a sign of a strong or healthy economy.

As Job Creators network President and CEO Alfredo Ortiz explained, Thursday's "GDP growth figure is a mirage created by unprecedented deficit spending. The Biden administration racked up a $1.7 trillion deficit over the last year, one of the highest in American history, more than even during the Great Recession, and a ridiculous number for an economy running close to full capacity," he explained.

According to the latest GDP report, government spending grew at its fastest rate — 4.6 percent — since the fourth quarter of 2022.

"This reckless spending juiced the economy, but it hasn't made Americans better off, as it has also caused high inflation to persist," Ortiz added. "Polling shows Americans are historically sour on the economy, as their real wages stagnate due to Bidenflation." 

Meanwhile, the surge in consumer spending shows that the Federal Reserve's efforts to spike interest rates to make it more difficult for Americans to buy have not yet caused demand to cool or inflationary trends to reverse after being spurred to 40-year highs by Biden's economic policies.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2023/10/26/q3-gdp-estimate-n2630400
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 03:23:56 pm »
Bringing inflation down isn't good enough, people are well aware of how much more things cost under Biden than Trump.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 03:26:53 pm »
Oh, the Federal Reserve will not like this ... the Fed wants to supress GDP to reduce demand to fight inflation ...

Now comes one of the most contentious Monetary Policy vs Fiscal Policy case studies in the history of economic study.

:pop41:

Chicken prices are still way too high at the supermarket.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:28:07 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 03:31:11 pm »
Oh, the Federal Reserve will not like this ... the Fed wants to supress GDP to reduce demand to fight inflation ...

Now comes one of the most contentious Monetary Policy vs Fiscal Policy case studies in the history of economic study.

:pop41:

Chicken prices are still way too high at the supermarket.

It costs well me over $400 to fill my propane tank now. When I first moved in 2020, I think it cost a little over $200.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 04:42:50 pm »

People have been doing that since the Clinton administration
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 04:44:56 pm »
From the article....

Thursday's "GDP growth figure is a mirage created by unprecedented deficit spending. The Biden administration racked up a $1.7 trillion deficit over the last year, one of the highest in American history, more than even during the Great Recession, and a ridiculous number for an economy running close to full capacity," he explained.

According to the latest GDP report, government spending grew at its fastest rate — 4.6 percent — since the fourth quarter of 2022.

"This reckless spending juiced the economy, but it hasn't made Americans better off, as it has also caused high inflation to persist," Ortiz added. "Polling shows Americans are historically sour on the economy, as their real wages stagnate due to Bidenflation."

It's not just Biden :whistle:

Barry Goldwater

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 05:56:50 pm »

My thought also, I look for an explosion of BK's in 2025 especially after lord knows how many people max out their credit cards for Christmas **nononono*