Author Topic: Biden officials shelve plan to require some migrants to remain in Texas  (Read 401 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden officials shelve plan to require some migrants to remain in Texas
Story by Camilo Montoya-Galvez  •
23h

Washington — A Biden administration plan to require some migrant families to remain in Texas while immigration authorities determined their eligibility for asylum collapsed due to local opposition in the Democratic-led border city of El Paso, according to two U.S. officials and government documents obtained by CBS News.

Officials in El Paso initially agreed to provide 400 hotel rooms to house migrants enrolled in the initiative, which was set to start in mid-September, according to internal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documents. But local officials reversed course on hosting the migrants after parts of the plan became public, the U.S. officials said, requesting anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

The episode, which had not been previously reported, illustrates the immigration dilemma vexing the Biden administration, which faces escalating pressure from Republicans and a growing group of Democrats to reduce the record levels of migration along the U.S. southern border in recent years. The migrant influx has strained federal and local resources, including in large cities like New York City and Chicago, with Democratic leaders who have found themselves openly criticizing a Democratic White House.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/biden-officials-shelve-plan-to-require-some-migrants-to-remain-in-texas/ar-AA1iOVRU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ed3c8c4b7eff4c6b89200bd78e9fac32&ei=17
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Biden officials shelve plan to require some migrants to remain in Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 11:31:29 am »
Texas Scorecard by  Emily Medeiros October 25, 2023

After the logistics became public knowledge, El Paso officials said they do not agree with the policy.

After it was revealed that the Biden administration planned to force illegal aliens to remain in Texas while awaiting asylum screening, U.S. officials have now said the plan is being shelved.

According to two U.S. officials and documents obtained by CBS News, local opposition from the Democrat-led City of El Paso collapsed the plan.

As per internal Department of Homeland Security documents, the initiative was set to take effect in mid-September.

Officials in El Paso initially agreed to provide 400 hotel rooms to house illegal aliens who were enrolled in the plan. However, once parts of the plan became public knowledge, local officials backtracked on providing housing for the illegal aliens.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/federal/biden-officials-say-they-are-pausing-remain-in-texas-policy/