Author Topic: BREAKING...Suspect at large after 2 active shooter incidents in area of Lewiston, Maine[updated]  (Read 6045 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Alleged Maine Attacker Used a ‘Legally’ Purchased Sniper Rifle

AWR Hawkins 27 Oct 2023

The alleged attacker who killed 18 and wounded 13 Wednesday night in Lewiston, Maine, used a “legally” purchased sniper rifle chambered in .308.

A .308 is an extremely popular hunting round used for large game. By contrast, an AR-15 uses 5.56 rounds–or .223–both of which are much smaller than a .308.

During live programming, FOX News reported, “The gun used was [a] sniper rifle purchased legally this year.”

The New York Post likewise noted that police indicated shooting suspect Robert Card “legally purchased a sniper rifle with .308 caliber bullets, the weapons [sic] believed to have been used in the attack.”

When law enforcement speaks of “legally” purchasing a gun the reference normally indicates that a background check was passed.

This immediately raises two questions: 1) Did Card’s mental evaluation at a West Point hospital in mid-July 2023 not reach the level of an involuntary commitment? or 2) Did someone drop the ball in reporting an involuntary commitment to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)  to prevent passage of a background check?

A NICS background check begins with the would-be gun buyer filling out ATF transaction record form 4473. Question G on the form asks, “Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?” If the would-be buyer answers “yes” to this question he is barred from purchasing the firearm.

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/10/27/alleged-maine-attacker-used-legally-purchased-sniper-rifle/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

'sniper' rifle...  :whistle:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, I caught that, too.

IOW, something that actually hits what it is aimed at?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Look if it can't be a scary 'black' AR15 than thank God for the media's sake we can use a scary term like 'sniper rifle' AKA any accurate rifle with a scope :shrug: Hell a competent shooter can use any caliber rifle as a sniper rifle. But OOOH! SCARY! 'SNIPER RIFLE'.

Once again neither Biden or any other democrat is talking about the real issue, not guns, mental health. Someone that flips their lid and decides to start killing people doesn't need a gun to do it, like suicide there are many ways to achieve the goal.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 07:04:55 pm by GtHawk »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Worst of all, it's a sniperassault rifle.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

Yeah, I caught that, too.

IOW, something that actually hits what it is aimed at?

A .308... Probably still (though at least erstwhile) the most popular deer rifle on the planet...

Deer hunters are now all snipers.

What does that make Bighorn or mountain goat hunters? Elk hunters? and everyone else that can operate in excess of 150 yards?  :whistle:

Online Smokin Joe

A .308... Probably still (though at least erstwhile) the most popular deer rifle on the planet...

Deer hunters are now all snipers.

What does that make Bighorn or mountain goat hunters? Elk hunters? and everyone else that can operate in excess of 150 yards?  :whistle:
"Real" Snipers use .50 BMG or .338 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmor or some such. Yes, 'designated shooters' and snipers use .308, too, but the real long range guys use more.

I think just because it was a larger round than the 5.56/.223 the media ran with more disinformation. You don't need a sniper rifle to shoot up a bar, and only a few have been semi-automatic (Barrett, Dragunov, Arsenal reworked M1 Garands and M-14s)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I had to turn the presser off...first this signer's expressions were distracting...

2nd...Mike Sauschuck seems to be enjoying all the notoriety ....jmo

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1718018024148738392
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DCPatriot

I had to turn the presser off...first this signer's expressions were distracting...

2nd...Mike Sauschuck seems to be enjoying all the notoriety ....jmo

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1718018024148738392

Signer's 'act' should have been screen-in-screen small block taking 15% of the screen...not "live" standing right next to him.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

John R Lott Jr.
@JohnRLottJr
The Just-in-Time Bowling Alley in Lewiston, Maine, where Robert Card murdered 7 people on Wednesday, was a Gun-free Zone; the Schemengees Bar & Grille was likely also a Gun-free Zone.
Story at Crime Research

... The sign for Just-in-Time Bowling Alley, located at 24 Mollison Way, Lewiston, ME 04240, reads: “We kindly ask that you refrain from bringing firearms in this building and we would appreciate it if you left them in your vehicle. Please keep our atmosphere family friendly.”   ...
I have yet to comply with such a request.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Where is Garrett Morris when you need him?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NBC and CNN and Sky are reporting he has been found dead
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:20:41 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
JUST BREAKING....Card found dead
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:36:13 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Well that was the best ending one could hope for. Hate to say that, but that is what I thought.

Why did they ban hunting, they had his suicide note and his 308 rifle was left in his truck. Seems unconstitutional to stop hunting. I mean I sorta understand not wanting "false alarms" with hunting sounds, but would think that it wasn't something that could be dealt with other than asking to not hunt locally.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:46:57 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

Geez...finally!   Now can we all talk about something else??    9999hair out0000

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lewiston, Maine mass shooting suspect Robert Card has been found dead, law enforcement sources tell the Associated Press.

A law enforcement source tells Fox News Digital that Card was found dead as a result of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound near a dumpster at a recycling plant where he worked at one point point in Lisbon, Maine.

Card is the primary suspect in Wednesday's mass shooting in Lewiston at Schemengees Bar and Grille and the Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley which left 18 people dead and another 13 injured.

A press conference is scheduled for 10 p.m.

Fox News' Jacqui Heinrich, CB Cotton and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Support the USO

Online Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

Motive????

Reported that he was possibly looking for his ex-girlfriend.

Reported that he was in the house...etc..  Shouldn't trust anything they say right now.

Online Smokin Joe

Reported that he was possibly looking for his ex-girlfriend.

Reported that he was in the house...etc..  Shouldn't trust anything they say right now.
Oh, don't worry. This ain't my first rodeo.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

Oh, don't worry. This ain't my first rodeo.

:laugh:    :beer:  I was speaking to the masses from my orange crate.   

Online Smokin Joe

:laugh:    :beer:  I was speaking to the masses from my orange crate.
Just make sure the nasty stuff gets pushed out through the cracks... :silly: :silly: :beer:

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Motive????

Heard it said he left a suicide note.... I sure it will be distributed if the left can use it (unlike the trans shooter).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....