Author Topic: BREAKING...Suspect at large after 2 active shooter incidents in area of Lewiston, Maine[updated]  (Read 5809 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Maine gun laws: The state does not require background checks on all firearm sales
By Olivia Land

Maine’s gun laws are under scrutiny after a gunman opened fire at a bowling alley and a bar in Lewiston Wednesday night, killing at least 18 and injuring 60 more.

Maine does not require background checks for all gun purchases, “making it easy for prohibited purchasers to access guns, no questions asked,” according to Everytown for Gun Safety, the gun violence prevention organization that aims to "end gun violence" "by introducing evidence-based solutions." It keeps records of current gun laws in each U.S. state.

The Pine Tree State also does not have an Extreme Risk or “red flag” law, which allows family or police to petition the court to temporarily prevent an individual from buying a gun on the grounds that they are a risk to themselves and others, Everytown says.

Robert Card, the person of interest in the Lewiston rampage, is an Army Reservist firearms instructor who had reportedly been under psychiatric care in the months before the massacre.

Maine has not banned high-capacity magazines, and does not require domestic abusers to relinquish their firearms even if they are under a restraining order, according to Everytown.
So the Federal background check for firearm purchases doesn't exist in Maine? Is individual gun sales between Maine residents allowed without Federal Background checks or is this just more inane gunshow rhetoric from anti gunners trying to push their agenda using a tragedy?

Online roamer_1

Somehow we got to find a middle ground between the wrong people getting guns, and depriving people of their 2a rights. Easier said than done.

I will say though, you really cannot make recommendations until the facts of this case are known.

Literally impossible outside of complete lockdown. And even in that I would bet you I could buy guns... With ease. All these stupid laws do is take guns away from the law-abiding.

Being reasonably street-wise and street connected, you could not prevent me from re-arming... with a vengeance. And I ain't all that.

Give me 500 bucks and put me in any city in the US and I will be able to buy a piece in a day or two... A week on the outside. More laws will never cure that.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Police Took Suspected Maine Shooter for Evaluation in July, Yellow Flag Law Not Triggered

Police took Robert Card, the person of interest police are seeking in connection with Wednesday’s shootings in Maine, for an evaluation in July 2023 after he acted “erratically,” according to reports.

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/10/26/police-took-suspected-maine-shooter-evaluation-july-yellow-flag-law-not-triggered/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

America hasn't had anything resembling a "mental health system" since states' deinstitutionalization of asylums in the 1960s and 1970s.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline American Girl

The photo that was his profile pic is also being shared in a full version by multiple news networks.

Do you think that will change how this story is covered by the Networks?

https://defiantamerica.com/maine-shooter-twitter-x-page-reveals-his-political-stance-we-can-expect-the-msm-to-make-this-number-one-news/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I know it's not a popular position on this board, but cases like this are why properly drafted red flag laws, which allow the person being flagged due process to challenge the claim that mental illness, a history of domestic violence, or the like make it appropriate to forbid his or her possession of firearms, should be on the books in each of the several states.

The abominations, rightly decried on this board, in which a mere accusation allows the police to seize a person's firearms have no place in our Constitutional order, but we have many laws that provide for people to be deprived of rights on the basis of an adversarial process in which they can defend themselves against claims against them (whether criminal or civil).  A properly drafted red flag law would simply be one more (think of it as regulating the militia by keeping people who should have place in it because they are insane or are violent toward their family out of it).
Red flag laws are actually irrelevant in this instance. The alleged perpetrator had a record of domestic violence, which is a disqualifier for firearms ownership.

(Lautenberg Amendment)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Unlike most of our mass murders, this is clearly a “mental case”.

But again I will say conservatives need to stop countering the “guns!” Argument with “mental illness” reasoning.

As with most ills, this is a systemic cultural problem. Most of these killers aren’t likely “mental” but morally depraved and spoiled.  Such narcissism has become the way we raise and handle people, especially if the protected classes. (And libs should know that their celebration of groups while denigrating 1 group will likely lead to resentment and retaliation, eventually.)
You have a valid point. Catering to mental illnesses (or at least 'conditions which were formerly officially recognized as such) is a large part of the problem When their condition meets with resistance to being 'celebrated' (i.e. getting special treatment because of that condition), then the problem all too often becomes violent.

Feeding that by making the patient into a 'victim',definitely feeds the mindset, and the entire apocalyptic approach of late, of "It's us or them", "You're part of the solution or part of the problem", They are out to commit genocide against US", system of false dichotomous thinking that of late passes for logic and is heavily entrenched in the rhetoric of today's politics could readily lead to violent incidents.

Everything is seen as some battle, with failure to prevail leading to an apocalyptic outcome, which, incidentally, is one of the prime characteristics of doomsday cult mentality.

It is time to tone down the rhetoric if we are to remain civilized, especially in Media, but that is something that I do not see as forthcoming. Instead, the divisions are emphasized, along racial, religious, cultural, down to even sexual preference barriers, and all are pitted against the other, with the assurance that anyone not in complete agreement is an existential enemy who is out to 'get them'. Under those circumstances, regardless of means or methodology, violence is practically assured. Firearms are just one tool, mobs are another, and all the various means of inflicting life threatening or lethal trauma are somehow justified by hurt feelings.

This has been developing for decades, and it's going to take a generation or two to back it down, short of decisive action against perpetrators that will make those particular crimes an unviable option.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Maine gun laws: The state does not require background checks on all firearm sales
By Olivia Land

Maine’s gun laws are under scrutiny after a gunman opened fire at a bowling alley and a bar in Lewiston Wednesday night, killing at least 18 and injuring 60 more.

Maine does not require background checks for all gun purchases, “making it easy for prohibited purchasers to access guns, no questions asked,” according to Everytown for Gun Safety, the gun violence prevention organization that aims to "end gun violence" "by introducing evidence-based solutions." It keeps records of current gun laws in each U.S. state.

The Pine Tree State also does not have an Extreme Risk or “red flag” law, which allows family or police to petition the court to temporarily prevent an individual from buying a gun on the grounds that they are a risk to themselves and others, Everytown says.

Robert Card, the person of interest in the Lewiston rampage, is an Army Reservist firearms instructor who had reportedly been under psychiatric care in the months before the massacre.

Maine has not banned high-capacity magazines, and does not require domestic abusers to relinquish their firearms even if they are under a restraining order, according to Everytown.
Federal law:
The Lautenberg Amendment makes it a felony for anyone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence such as an assault or attempted assault on a family member, to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition.

This was covered by law, regardless of what Maine Laws are.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

So the Federal background check for firearm purchases doesn't exist in Maine? Is individual gun sales between Maine residents allowed without Federal Background checks or is this just more inane gunshow rhetoric from anti gunners trying to push their agenda using a tragedy?
It sure seems like the latter.

Just what we need is another Federal Law that will be ignored, because other Federal laws were ignored.

Enough, already.

C S Lewis

Offline Mod2

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Increased FBI and law enforcement activity seen at property associated with Robert Card

Increased law enforcement activity was seen at property associated with Robert Card in Bowdoin, Maine.

Active FBI and state police activity could be seen at the property. According to property records, Card is associated with the house in Bowdoin.

Two cars of agents with the ATF could be seen entering the scene, adding to the growing law enforcement presence.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/lewiston-maine-mass-shooting-october-26
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
live presser going on at this moment, on all news channels and cable

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Maine mass shooting live updates: Shots heard being fired outside house of Robert Card’s family

https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/news/maine-mass-shooting-dozens-dead-as-gunman-opens-fire-in-multiple-locations/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Please someone shoot this nutcake already.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline GtHawk

America hasn't had anything resembling a "mental health system" since states' deinstitutionalization of asylums in the 1960s and 1970s.
Thank the ACLU and democrats for that, rather than eliminate facilities that actually were snake pits they pretty much eliminated almost every facility because it was violating the rights of the mentally ill to give them the care they needed and dumping them on the streets was sooo much better....and cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 10:56:26 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Please someone shoot this nutcake already.

This guy could be the next Eric Rudolph.   Took 5 years to find him.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Thank the ACLU and democrats for that, rather than eliminate facilities that actually were snake pits they pretty much eliminated almost every facility because it was violating the rights of the mentally ill to give them the care they needed and dumping them on the streets was sooo much better....and cheaper.

JFK signed the de-institutionalization bill in 1961, although Reagan gets the blame usually.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Fox is reporting suspect is coming out hands in the air.

Don't see it on any other news wires.

Offline GtHawk

JFK signed the de-institutionalization bill in 1961, although Reagan gets the blame usually.
Yeah they blame Reagan as California Governor, but all he did was act on what congress promissed :shrug:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Not sure he's there

Law enforcement yells 'You are under arrest. Hands in the air' at residence connected to Robert Card

Law enforcement officers yelled over a bullhorn "You are under arrest. Hands in the air" at a residence connected to Robert Card.

“We would like to speak to you. Walk to the front of the truck with nothing in your hands. We want to do this safely for you and everyone else," a law enforcement officer could be heard yelling.

"Come out with your hands in the air and walk to the front of driveway. Again, you are under arrest. Please come out of the house now," the law enforcement officer can be heard saying.

Officers specifically shouted Robert's name.

The Maine State Police put out a Facebook post shortly after, stating that they don't know if Card is inside the residence.

"Law enforcement officials are currently on Meadow Road in the town of Bowdoin to execute several search warrants. The announcements that are being heard over a loud speaker are standard search warrant announcements when executing a warrant to ensure the safety of all involved. It is unknown whether Robert Card is in any of the homes law enforcement will search. Law enforcement officials are simply doing their due diligence by tracking down every lead in an effort to locate and apprehend Card," the Maine State Police wrote.

The incident happened at a property connected to Card in Bowdoin, Maine.

A police helicopter is circling the residence.

Officers previously left the area before coming back a short time later.

Card is a suspect in Wednesday's mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine, which left 18 individuals dead and another 13 injured.

Fox News' Chris Eberhart contributed to this report.
Posted by Adam Sabes
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
80 FBI agents searching for Robert Card, others from ATF, DEA, DHS, and Coast Guard involved

At least 80 FBI agents are involved in the search for Robert Card, in addition to agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Drug Enforcement Administration, and Coast Guard, according to Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.

Collins made the comments during a press conference on Thursday evening.

"I had a call from the deputy director of the FBI who told me that there were 80 FBI agents on site participating in the search for the killer," Collins said.

State and local law enforcement agencies are also searching for Card.

Card is the suspect in Wednesday night's mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine, which left 18 dead and another 13 injured.

A manhunt is underway for Card, who hasn't been found as of Thursday evening.
Posted by Adam Sabes
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Law enforcement seen at two properties associated with Robert Card in Bowden, Maine. (Michael Ruiz and Chris Eberhart/Fox News)
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Mysterious note found at home of Maine shooting suspect Robert Card
By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon   
Published Oct. 26, 2023, 6:39 p.m. ET

Investigators uncovered a mysterious note at the home of suspected Maine mass shooter Robert Card — as the US Coast Guard joins the massive manhunt for the fugitive.

The discovery was made as authorities executed a search warrant at Card’s disheveled house in Bowdoin Thursday, according to NBC News — one day after police said the unhinged US Army Reservist killed 18 people and wounded 13 others in two mass shootings in Lewiston.

Investigators are trying to determine if the note, the contents of which were not revealed, provides any answers to the motive behind the Wednesday night bloodbath, the outlet said.

Meanwhile, the Coast Guard has launched a surveillance plane and boats out of Boothbay to join the manhunt for the accused mass killer that already includes local, county, state and federal agents, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Third-Class Diolanda Caballero told NBC.

Card’s car was found near a boat launch in Lisbon nearly 8 miles from the shootings, authorities said.
Home of suspected mass shooter Robert Card.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/10/26/news/mysterious-note-found-at-home-of-maine-shooting-suspect-robert-card/
Support the USO

Offline American Girl

They wasted hours of taxpayer dollars attempting to negotiate with an empty house…. You can’t make this shit up…

Intel glowies directed him to a safe house by talking to him through his hearing aids?

https://www.usasupreme.com/the-police-breached-the-house-of-maines-shooter-and-reported-that-nothing-was-inside-hours-later-fbi-announced-that-they-found-something-that-could-change-the-whole-case/