Author Topic: Navigator CO2 Ventures cancels carbon-capture pipeline project in US Midwes  (Read 327 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navigator CO2 Ventures cancels carbon-capture pipeline project in US Midwest
By Leah Douglas
October 20, 20231:48 PM EDTUpdated 3 days ago

Oct 20 (Reuters) - Navigator CO2 Ventures has canceled its Heartland Greenway pipeline project aimed at capturing 15 million metric tons of carbon dioxide annually from Midwest ethanol plants and storing it permanently underground, the company said on Friday, citing "unpredictable" state regulatory processes.

The cancellation of one of the biggest projects of its kind is a setback to the development of carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects in the U.S., which are a pillar of President Joe Biden's climate strategy. It is also a blow to the ethanol industry, which sees CCS as key to cutting emissions from producing the fuel.

The Navigator project would have laid 1,300 miles (2,092 km) of pipeline across five states. Residents along the route expressed concern to state regulators about potential safety risks if the pipeline should leak and about harm to their land from construction.

In September, the company's permit application was denied by South Dakota regulators and this month the company asked Iowa regulators to pause its permit process.

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/navigator-co2-ventures-cancels-carbon-capture-pipeline-project-us-midwest-2023-10-20/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

For crissakes, plant trees ... or use the CO2 to carbonate beverages.  Jeesh.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
There are two projects, can't recall if it's this one that potentially could run thru my parents property.

The whole thing as far as I can tell is a scam. The are wanting to pipe it to somewhere in Illinois and put it through some highly calcified water sitting in a cavern or old mine to supposedly neutralize it, which has never been done even on a lab scale as far as I know. It's all very sketchy and janky. Personally I think it's all about the subsidies and the tax breaks.

CO2 nis not only valuable, but there's a shortage for things like carbonated drinks and such. Why would you not simply shorten the need for pipeline and create a money stream by building and running the piping to a CO2 for cleanup and pressurizing? Again, think subsidies.

The real issue with CO2 is that it's heavier than air, so in a leak situation it will migrate to the nearest low spot. Imagine you are driving and the road dips into a little valley full of leaked gas.

You don't have a chance of making it out alive.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There are two projects, can't recall if it's this one that potentially could run thru my parents property.

The whole thing as far as I can tell is a scam. The are wanting to pipe it to somewhere in Illinois and put it through some highly calcified water sitting in a cavern or old mine to supposedly neutralize it, which has never been done even on a lab scale as far as I know. It's all very sketchy and janky. Personally I think it's all about the subsidies and the tax breaks.

CO2 nis not only valuable, but there's a shortage for things like carbonated drinks and such. Why would you not simply shorten the need for pipeline and create a money stream by building and running the piping to a CO2 for cleanup and pressurizing? Again, think subsidies.

The real issue with CO2 is that it's heavier than air, so in a leak situation it will migrate to the nearest low spot. Imagine you are driving and the road dips into a little valley full of leaked gas.

You don't have a chance of making it out alive.
Right. Unlike H2S, where there is a shot at getting up the other side, the CO2 will kill the engine and you will die.
Similarly, if you get caught in a released cloud, regardless of reason, you have about 60 seconds to make your peace with The Lord, or get to higher ground. You'd suffocate with your lungs full.

The Summit Pipeline that was supposed to come to North Dakota to 'sequester' CO2 in the subsurface has also run into friction due to the route's proximity to Bismarck, which would serve as a limiting factor on the city's growth and a potential hazard. This CO2 would not be used for secondary oil recovery, but injected into non-producing formations.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 05:50:54 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis