Author Topic: Americans’ Lack of Trust in Cable TV News Is Helping Grow Cord Cutting  (Read 890 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://cordcuttersnews.com/americans-lack-of-trust-in-cable-tv-news-is-helping-grow-cord-cutting/?amp=1

by Luke Bouma
October 23, 2023

This week, Gallup released its new survey looking at Amerians’s trust in media. According to that report, only 34% of Americans trust mass media to report the news “fully, accurately, and fairly.

Only 7% of Americans say they have “a great deal” of trust and confidence in the media, and 27% say they have “a fair amount” of trust in the media.

These numbers are horrible news for cable TV companies that have been counting on news and sports to save cable TV. Now though, increasingly, Americans are turning away from newspapers, TV, and radio as they go to free online options for news.

(Excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Americans’ Lack of Trust in Cable TV News Is Helping Grow Cord Cutting
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:30:02 pm »
I'd love to convince my wife to cut the cord, sure would save money.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 02:54:29 pm »
I don't trust any Western News services anymore.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 03:31:05 pm »
I multisource my news ... TV Cable News is not about "reporting" or "journalism" ... it's about lobbying the public and meek wuss elected officials to advance the agenda of the corporate media masters.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 03:40:56 pm »
I multisource my news ... TV Cable News is not about "reporting" or "journalism" ... it's about lobbying the public and meek wuss elected officials to advance the agenda of the corporate media masters.

Me too. Yeah some of it gets pretty out there. I can sift thru it and agree with what holds water. Just want to be informed.

And lately alot of 'out there' stuff has come true which is why I look at a wide field of information.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 07:16:49 pm »
Me too. Yeah some of it gets pretty out there. I can sift thru it and agree with what holds water. Just want to be informed.

And lately alot of 'out there' stuff has come true which is why I look at a wide field of information.
Most mass media 'news' is just a flare to tell me what I should dig into on my own, realizing that every source has its bias. COVID taught me that there are ample people who claim to be scientists who play fast and loose with their methodology, so I want to read the journal article and assess their findings myself.

Sometimes, even the most improbable findings have merit,if you are willing to follow the lead far enough. FOr example, when CNN and others made fun of Trump talking about sunlight and disinfectants against COVID, it turns out that pre-pill form antibiotics (1940s), piping UV into a vein for limited exposure of the blood to the UV was a method of killing off pathogens and helping the body build antibodies ("sunlight"), while inhalation of nebulized dilute Hydrogen Peroxide was an effective killer of respiratory pathogens as well. Despite the rancor and mockery, there was something to both. The research was there, in the NIH library, for any who stopped ridiculing long enough to read it, but that was not the goal of the media which were attacking the messenger rather than looking at the message. It was imminently clear that panic was the goal of the mass media, not an answer to the problem.

As for Cable news, that has been gone from this household for over a year. I don't need the parroted repetition of buzzwords and catchphrases, from multiple sources, at a minimum of twice on the hour. That's indoctrination, not news.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:18:54 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 07:48:50 pm »
Oh...I totally trust them. After all, it's fake but accurate isn't it?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 08:17:34 pm »

Fake but accurate.... Fake but accurate.... Fake but accurate.... Must hold the line.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 08:32:35 pm »
The last time i trusted any broadcast news this guy was reading it

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »
The last time i trusted any broadcast news this guy was reading it
RIP, George Putnam.

I was able to get acquainted with him through his radio show in the last few years of his life. A very astute man.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 11:13:50 pm »
RIP, George Putnam.

I was able to get acquainted with him through his radio show in the last few years of his life. A very astute man.
A rare breed, he of course had strong opinions but unlike other 'newsmen' he didn't insert them into the news he waited for his segment he called 'one reporters opinion'. I miss that kind of journalism, the real kind not this current crap that is so colored by the supposed reporters personal opinion that it's useless.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 11:39:22 pm »
bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 11:56:25 pm »
Cable tv news didn't have anything to do with it (I watch NO "news" on tv of any kind), but I just signed up for 1gig fiber yesterday. To be installed on Halloween.

Looking to "cut that cable" here and also save about 90 per month on the bill... at least for now.