Author Topic: This State Has Had More Mass Shootings Than Any Other  (Read 562 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This State Has Had More Mass Shootings Than Any Other
« on: October 23, 2023, 11:18:13 am »

This State Has Had More Mass Shootings Than Any Other
Story by Angelo Young  •

There is no agreed-upon single definition of what constitutes a mass shooting, which can explain why estimates can vary so much from source to source. The Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act, which Congress passed in 2012, defines “mass killings” as three or more killings in a single incident. Other definitions include injured persons. Still, there are places where mass shootings and mass killings occur with greater frequency. (Here are the worst mass shootings in the U.S. last year.)

To find the states with the most mass shootings since 2020, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed Gun Violence Archive data. We ranked states and the District of Columbia by the number of mass shootings according to the Gun Violence Archive definition, which is four or more people injured or killed. Five states did not have mass shootings during the period - Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming. Data was collected on Feb. 2, 2023.

Several factors can contribute to the number of mass shootings in a state, most notably population size and density. Nine out of the 10 most-populated states, where more than half of the U.S. population resides, rank among the top 10 states with the most mass shootings. Likewise, mass shootings tend to occur in the most populated cities within each state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/this-state-has-had-more-mass-shootings-than-any-other/ss-AA1iCtZC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=313313276b7b45dea014238c6279f62e&ei=56
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson