Author Topic: Vivek Ramaswamy Comes Out Against Gaza Invasion, Removal of Hamas  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Vivek Ramaswamy Comes Out Against Gaza Invasion, Removal of Hamas
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2023, 01:40:34 am »
I won't either, but he made a couple of interesting observations.

I think he's a disingenuous sophist.  He's making "observations", when that's not what we elect people to do.  We elect them to make decisions.  But he makes observations so that he doesn't have to take a firm position and therefore can't be criticized.   Instead, by only discussing the relevant considerations rather than taking a position, he sounds clever and can appeal to everyone.  It's kind of like a classic Clinton dodge.

So here's what he said, verbatim from his own tweet:

Vivek Ramaswamy
@VivekGRamaswamy
A ground invasion into Gaza with no clear long-term objective is a recipe for a no-win war that will be bad for Israel & bad for the U.S. Debating this issue NOW isn’t anti-Israel, it’s pro-Israel & pro-America. Here’s what I worry is about to happen:
   1. Israel mounts a ground invasion of Gaza imminently.
   2. Hezbollah strikes Israel from the North, making good on its threat for Israel crossing the red line of invading Gaza.
   3. Once Israel is in a two-front war, the U.S. is effectively forced to engage militarily.
   4. Iran-backed militias in Iraq & Yemen attack U.S. targets in the Middle East, making good on their threats if the U.S. engages in Israel.
   5. Civilian casualties in Gaza cause other countries to turn their backs on Israel, while radicalized Palestinians back Hamas 2.0 to fill the leadership vacuum in Gaza.

Okay, fine.  Now, after taking all of that into account, what is his position?  I'm sure if he was asked that, he'd say "well, I'm just trying to get the discussion started because I don't think anyone has asked those questions, and I think we should!"  And people clap because he sounds so wise and measured, but it's really just him dodging having to take a position.  Absolutely zero reason a well-informed candidates shouldn't be able to weigh those factors and freaking take a stand.  Or, as Neil Peart of Rush once wrote "If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 01:42:03 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2023, 03:01:28 am »
I think he's a disingenuous sophist.  He's making "observations", when that's not what we elect people to do.  We elect them to make decisions.  But he makes observations so that he doesn't have to take a firm position and therefore can't be criticized.   Instead, by only discussing the relevant considerations rather than taking a position, he sounds clever and can appeal to everyone.  It's kind of like a classic Clinton dodge.

So here's what he said, verbatim from his own tweet:

Okay, fine.  Now, after taking all of that into account, what is his position?  I'm sure if he was asked that, he'd say "well, I'm just trying to get the discussion started because I don't think anyone has asked those questions, and I think we should!"  And people clap because he sounds so wise and measured, but it's really just him dodging having to take a position.  Absolutely zero reason a well-informed candidates shouldn't be able to weigh those factors and freaking take a stand.  Or, as Neil Peart of Rush once wrote "If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
He explains himself better in the interview with Tucker. The objective I got from that interview was that he (as does anyone with a lick of sense) wants to avoid escalating a local fight into WWIII, replete with nukes. That is a possibility, especially with the Chinese in the mix.

I'm not supporting the guy for POTUS, but the questions he raises make for interesting commentary. Much that has been said is emotional saber rattling, calling for a conflict we are really not in a good position to engage in. Let Israel handle it, and don't be so anxious to jump in ourselves. They will have a long term objective, and they will achieve it. I see our presence there as basically to keep the flies off their back while they do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2023, 06:14:35 pm »
Vivek seems confused about what he really believes.

Peter Henlein
@SwissWatchGuy
VIvek Ramaswamy has been giving nonstop interviews and making repeated X posts saying the opposite of what he just posted below.

1:00 PM · Oct 28, 2023

David Reaboi, Late Republic Nonsense
@davereaboi
UPDATE: Vivek is speaking at the Republican Jewish Coalition in Vegas, so he wants to con as many people as possible this weekend. Back to normal programming on Monday.
2:04 PM · Oct 28, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2023, 06:17:56 pm »
He explains himself better in the interview with Tucker. The objective I got from that interview was that he (as does anyone with a lick of sense) wants to avoid escalating a local fight into WWIII, replete with nukes. That is a possibility, especially with the Chinese in the mix.

I'm not supporting the guy for POTUS, but the questions he raises make for interesting commentary. Much that has been said is emotional saber rattling, calling for a conflict we are really not in a good position to engage in. Let Israel handle it, and don't be so anxious to jump in ourselves. They will have a long term objective, and they will achieve it. I see our presence there as basically to keep the flies off their back while they do.

You make valid points about his commentary.  Agreed, we are not in a position to engage in a war that will likely escalate to other regions, especially Iran.  However, it looks like we are already committed.

I do see Vivek as a threat and a danger to our Republic though.

He also needs to consider that Israel is our strongest ally in the region.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 06:19:06 pm by libertybele »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2023, 08:15:04 pm »

Peter Henlein
@SwissWatchGuy
VIvek Ramaswamy has been giving nonstop interviews and making repeated X posts saying the opposite of what he just posted below.

@davereaboi
UPDATE: Vivek is speaking at the Republican Jewish Coalition in Vegas, so he wants to con as many people as possible this weekend. Back to normal programming on Monday.

This way, when someone tries to pin him down as taking a position that is unpopular with some folks, he'll pivot to a different statement that says the opposite.  That's how you end up being all things to all people.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2023, 08:17:34 pm »
Vivek Ramaswamy Tells Jewish Coalition He Wants 100 Hamas Leaders' Heads on Stakes

https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1718316517891231757
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2023, 08:45:49 pm »

Peter Henlein
@SwissWatchGuy

@davereaboi

He’s not quite ready for prime time.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2023, 09:11:08 pm »
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson

Scroll down to Ep 31 and hear him out and then you will know exactly what he said.

Here's the link to Ep 31 and Vivek's full comments:

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1714827415241867538

Offline libertybele

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 09:17:02 pm »
Here's the link to Ep 31 and Vivek's full comments:

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1714827415241867538

I truly don't care about the interview -- he is O'Bammy 2.0  I have absolutely no doubt.  Secondly, neither of his parents were born in this country which in my books disqualifies him for running for president. 

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2023, 09:23:25 pm »
Sounds like he is all for appeasement of Hamas

But, Vivek didn't do that.  He fully condemned the barbaric actions of Hamas and suppots Israel's right to defend herself against them.

He's asking for cooler heads to chime in and ask what our role should be, and to what specific end --- before WWIII is triggered.

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2023, 09:39:37 pm »
@Kamaji

I don't get it.

He is actually highlighting genuine  concerns that  SHOULD be thought  out before the US takes ANY military action.

Nobody but a damn fool goes off to  war  unprepared.

I also think the US needs to  work harder  to  get NATO involved,and not get stuck with having to  take on Islam by  ourselves. We do NOT need to be out there "all on our own" with our alleged "Allies" hanging back and  watching.

Well said @sneakypete    When I hear what Haley said (see below) echoed through our government, I fear for the US as much, if not more, than I do for Israel:

Nikki Haley says the US must give Israel whatever it wants militarily, diplomatically, and financially -- "no questions asked" (Video)

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1717609895401234884

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2023, 09:44:40 pm »
I truly don't care about the interview -- he is O'Bammy 2.0  I have absolutely no doubt.  Secondly, neither of his parents were born in this country which in my books disqualifies him for running for president.

Of course you, rightfully IMO, care about the interview --- it's why we're commenting on it.  I simply think hearing it is more helpful than reading select snippits from it.   :shrug:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 09:45:49 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2023, 09:54:18 pm »
Can we at least ask "why?".

OSINTdefender
@sentdefender

An Absolutely Insane amount of U.S, NATO, and UN Naval Assets are currently in the Mediterranean.

Intelschizo
@Schizointel

Updated Map of US Navy and Allies in the Mediterranean and Red Sea.

Warships from the following countries underway or deployed
🇺🇸🇬🇧🇫🇷🇩🇪🇮🇹🇪🇸🇹🇷🇬🇷🇮🇩🇧🇩🇩🇰

11:55 AM · Oct 28, 2023

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2023, 10:00:12 pm »
But, Vivek didn't do that.  He fully condemned the barbaric actions of Hamas and suppots Israel's right to defend herself against them.

He's asking for cooler heads to chime in and ask what our role should be, and to what specific end --- before WWIII is triggered.

That's just mealy-mouthed crap on his part.

The guy is still running for President, right?  It isn't his role to just wonder out loud about what the questions are.  That's the job of interviewers.  He should be one of the people who thinks about those issues, comes to a conclusion, and then gives us his straight opinion about what should be done in light of his answers to those questions.  To run around and say "we need to be asking these questions" is just an excuse for avoiding the difficult decisions that a President needs to make, and which candidates should be making as well so the rest of us know where he stands.

That's the same kind of disingenuous "I'm just asking questions" crap that Tucker typically pulls, except Ramaswamy doesn't even have the excuse of being a pseudo-journalist.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 10:13:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »