Author Topic: Major Companies Ditch College Degree as Job Requirement  (Read 551 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Major Companies Ditch College Degree as Job Requirement
« on: October 19, 2023, 03:47:12 pm »
Major Companies Ditch College Degree as Job Requirement
Kristen Eichamer / @KEichamer / Virginia Allen / @Virginia_Allen5 / October 19, 2023

A woman in a graduation gown holds her graduation cap in her hands in front of her.
Some large companies are moving away from requiring college degrees for certain jobs and instead are focusing on applicants' skills, experience, passions, and cultural fit. 

Kristen Eichamer is a senior media analyst at The Heritage Foundation.

Virginia Allen is a senior news producer and podcast host for The Daily Signal. She is the co-host of "The Daily Signal Podcast" and "Problematic Women." Send an email to Virginia.

Major businesses are moving away from requiring college degrees for an increasing number of positions. Instead, they’re focusing on applicants’ skills, experience, passions, and even their cultural fit.

Fox News reports that companies such as IBM, Bank of America, Accenture, Walmart, and Google are reducing the number of corporate jobs that require a four-year college degree.

In September, for example, Walmart announced it was rewriting hundreds of job descriptions to allow for relevant experience to take the place of a college degree. In 2021, IBM announced it was removing the college degree requirement for half of its U.S. job openings.

A recent report from Philadelphia-based Burning Glass Institute predicts that the shift away from college degree requirements could open up 1.4 million jobs in the next five years for folks without such a degree.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/10/19/major-companies-ditch-college-degree-as-job-requirement/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Major Companies Ditch College Degree as Job Requirement
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 03:55:32 pm »

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 04:00:00 pm »
It's about time.

This is the way it used to be, but corporations were more interested in projecting image than substance, and now they have realized that college degrees for the most part are worthless today.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 06:47:00 pm »
It's about time.

This is the way it used to be, but corporations were more interested in projecting image than substance, and now they have realized that college degrees for the most part are worthless today.

My college degree was a 5 year extension of High School.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 07:05:40 pm »
Varies from one individual to the next. College today is about money more than education or achievement. If you pay the money, you will pass no matter what. However, if the student is genuinely interested in the subject and applies themselves in and out of class, college can be a very good experience. It is always good to have people to bounce thoughts off of while studying a specific subject.

Motivation is the key. That is how you truly learn. Anyone can sit through a course and then get a piece of paper documenting it. But that is completely different from actually ingesting and learning a thing. That is up to the individual and has nothing to do with the teacher or the school.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 11:44:59 pm »
Instead, they’re focusing on applicants’ skills, experience, passions, and even their cultural fit.
Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

The college degree requirement is gone, but the barriers to entry remain. Gotta keep the riff-raff out, you know.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024