Author Topic: “Asking for Trouble:” State Gives Illegal Immigrants Driver’s License that Looks Exactly like Legal  (Read 604 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
OCTOBER 17, 2023
|
JUDICIAL WATCH
“Asking for Trouble:” State Gives Illegal Immigrants Driver’s License that Looks Exactly like Legal Residents’ 
cc
This month Minnesota became the latest state to allow illegal immigrants to get a driver’s license as part of a burgeoning national trend to reward undocumented residents with government benefits. In all, 19 states and the District of Columbia have passed bills that permit foreigners living in the U.S. illegally to obtain driver’s licenses. Earlier this year laws went into effect in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and a few weeks ago Minnesota’s measure, known as Driver’s Licenses for All, went into effect. Officials estimate that about 80,000 illegal immigrants who were previously disqualified from obtaining the cards in the North Star state will now be allowed to get them.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington are the other states that let illegal aliens get driver’s licenses. Typically, candidates need only to present a foreign passport or birth certificate or a consular card along with evidence that they live in the state. Open border groups and their leftist allies in local governments across the nation assert that granting illegal aliens driver’s licenses benefits everyone because it makes roads safer, therefore improving public safety. In New York City, officials cite unspecified “data” that shows expanding driver’s license eligibility to illegal immigrants improves road safety and lowers insurance premiums for all. Besides “making our roads safer,” Illinois’ governor says giving illegal aliens licenses decreases stigma and creates a more equitable system for all.

Minnesota officials used similar narratives to push through their legislation. The governor, Tim Walz, said ensuring that drivers are licensed and carry insurance makes the roads more secure for all Minnesotans. “As a longtime supporter of this bill, I am proud to finally sign it into law, making our roads safer and moving us toward our goal of making Minnesota the best state to raise a family for everyone,” the Democrat lawmaker said in a statement when he proudly signed the measure earlier this year. The state’s lieutenant governor explained that the new law makes sure children and families “can come out of the shadows” and that all residents have opportunities to thrive, succeed, grow, and live their fullest lives. “From picking a child up from school to driving to a doctor’s appointment, driver’s licenses help us safely access essential services and navigate our lives,” the lieutenant governor, Penny Flanagan, said.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/illegal-immigrants-drivers-license/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Probably already got 'em on the voter rolls.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Probably already got 'em on the voter rolls.
How many of those states have "motor voter"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis