Author Topic: US Marine rapid response force moving toward Israel as Pentagon strengthens military posture in regi  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Marine rapid response force moving toward Israel as Pentagon strengthens military posture in region
By Natasha Bertrand and Oren Liebermann, CNN

Updated 3:22 AM EDT, Tue October 17, 2023

A US Marine rapid response force is headed to the waters off the coast of Israel and the Pentagon is preparing American troops for a potential deployment to the country, escalating the US’ show of force in the region as it works to prevent the conflict between Israel and Hamas from widening any further.

Two defense officials familiar with the planning said the rapid response force, consisting of 2,000 Marines and sailors, is being sent. It will join a growing number of US warships and forces converging on Israel as the US seeks to send a message of deterrence to Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

On Sunday evening, US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin ordered that roughly 2,000 troops prepare for a potential deployment to Israel to help with tasks like medical and logistical support, multiple defense officials said.

Taken together, the moves are aimed at forestalling a wider regional war, officials said. But they also risk deepening the US’ involvement in a conflict in which the Biden administration is trying to avoid direct military action.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/16/politics/us-marines-pentagon-israel/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson