Author Topic: AT&T Moves to Disrupt Test of SpaceX's Starlink Cellular Service  (Read 492 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
PC Mag by Michael Kan October 16, 2023

SpaceX accuses AT&T and the Rural Wireless Association of waging a 'desperate, 11th-hour campaign to prevent' the test, which would involve a second-generation Starlink satellite.

SpaceX is hoping to kick off a satellite test for its Starlink cellular service later this year, but AT&T and a trade association are trying to block the effort.

SpaceX's main application to offer the service is still moving through the FCC regulatory process. But earlier this month, the company filed a “special temporary authority (STA)" application to launch and start testing a second-generation Starlink satellite as soon as Dec. 1.

The satellite would be equipped with “direct-to-cellular communications payloads to connect unmodified cellular phones directly to SpaceX Gen2 satellites,” the application says.

The test would involve beaming data to smartphones using T-Mobile’s “PCS G-Block” radio spectrum. "The STA would also allow SpaceX to confirm the operational status of its direct-to-cell satellites and their ability to communicate with cell phones immediately upon insertion, rather than waiting weeks while the satellites complete orbit raising to ensure proper functioning," SpaceX added.

More: https://www.pcmag.com/news/att-moves-to-disrupt-test-of-spacexs-starlink-cellular-service

Online roamer_1

Re: AT&T Moves to Disrupt Test of SpaceX's Starlink Cellular Service
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 08:07:36 pm »
I am torn by this... Even in the deepest forest, well away from any trappings of man... To be able to catch a call and text... GPS anywhere... Surf the web and tunes, and movies in your camp at night... Never out of touch with loved ones... That's all pretty sexy.

And not that all that isn't already there at base camp. I have buddies already hauling their Starlink out to hunting camp in roaming mode, and with cell over internet protocols, have cellular working right there...

But it all comes with the certainty that you must give up your location... anywhere on the planet...

I dunno that's such a good idea.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: AT&T Moves to Disrupt Test of SpaceX's Starlink Cellular Service
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 08:27:07 pm »
Reminds me of the time the Chronicle sports writer wrote about right where I was going to deer hunt in the Nat forest on the friday before opening weekend.