Author Topic: GUEST COLUMN: What the state can do to me — it can do to you  (Read 481 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

GUEST COLUMN: What the state can do to me — it can do to you
« on: October 16, 2023, 05:26:34 pm »
GUEST COLUMN: What the state can do to me — it can do to you

https://denvergazette.com/opinion/columns/guest-column-what-the-state-can-do-to-me-it-can-do-to-you/article_8da6f9a3-e8b1-5adf-8e9d-139cffbaedf2.html

For more than 10 years, a Colorado law has been misused to punish me for something I didn’t do. For more than 30 years, my family and I have quietly operated Masterpiece Cakeshop, baking treats and specializing in custom-designed cakes to celebrate special occasions. I welcome everyone into my shop, treat them with respect, and if they ask for a particular kind of custom cake, do my best to create something beautiful and memorable.
My creativity is inseparable from my convictions, and both run deep in my soul.But this desire to create art that is consistent with who I am is what has brought me into conflict with state officials who have tried to force me to say something I don’t believe. The Colorado government, and then an activist attorney, have misused state law for over a decade now, trying to harass and punish me until I express messages against my beliefs — or go out of business. This relentless prosecution violates both my religious freedom and my free speech.

I had to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court with the help of my attorneys with Alliance Defending Freedom in 2017, where a 7-2 majority determined that state officials had shown impermissible hostility toward me and my religious beliefs. That went a long way toward shoring up my religious freedom, and I’m grateful. But sadly, the court’s ruling didn’t address how state law was misused to violate my free speech — as it continues to be today.

The activists came back for another go, and the activicrats played ball with them. The re-run case, last I heard, is before the CO state supreme court.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: GUEST COLUMN: What the state can do to me — it can do to you
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 09:52:40 pm »
No doubt that most folks on the right admire Mr. Phillips for both his beliefs and his tenacity.
I do.

BUT... there comes a point where it may be useless to "keep on fighting" against a left that has the resources to just "keep on coming at you" again and again.

The current case against Mr. Phillips may reach the U.S. Supreme Court, or it may not. If it does, he may win again, but that will eventually result in yet ANOTHER attempt to "get him" in Colorado.

My advice to Mr. Phillips is:
Pack up your cake business and your family and drive about 100 miles north to Cheyenne, and set up shop there. Or perhaps in Salt Lake City.

Stop trying to be John Henry vs. the steam drill.
Yes, Mr. Henry won, but how did that work out for him?