Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12770 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We are adding Trillions every year to a debt we will soon be hard pressed to pay the interest on. What did our Establishment Loyalists do to stop this, NOTHING. Of course our Establishment Loyalist Pub posters are okay with this as long as the team wins.

We are at around $1T interest cost with tax receipts a bit north of $4T, in a mediocre but fairly stable economy, and as of now has hockey sticked straight north. In '08 revenues crashed about 25%, so another recession will squeeze that even harder.

Do we think the world is going to fund our debt when most of it goes to pay interest?
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I guess we should ask you that, because the goal posts keep changing.

The only one who changed where the goalposts have always been is Gaetz.

I support the entire caucus agreeing to back for Speaker whomever gets the majority vote within the caucus.  That's the deal. But there's no deal if some members of the Freedom Caucus refuse to be bound by that deal.  Because all they then have to do is refuse to support everyone except the guy they want - In this case Jordan - and then pressure everybody else into backing their candidate.

That's what Gaetz did.  "We're not obligated to vote for McCarthy, but you're obligated to vote for Jordan.". He did that in January, and then again in October.  On both occasions, McCarthy had a larger majority than does Jordan right now.  He had at least 210 votes both times, more than Jordan has ever gotten.  But, despite that majority, Gaetz & Co. refused to vote for him.

The Freedom Caucus actually broke that deal again with respect to Scalise. They agreed to support whoever won the vote between Jordan and Scalise.  But when Scalise won it, five members of the Freedom Caucus announced that they would never vote for Scalise under any conditions.  So much for the vote.

The deal to support whoever wins the majority within the Republican conference was broken multiple times by members of the freedom Caucus, and no longer exists. For the Freedom Caucus to now insist that everybody else is obligated to vote for Jordan, after they refused to vote for others who won the majority before Jordan, is laughable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 06:38:51 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline kevindavis007

Yeah I get it, the Establishment Loyalists never want to hold leadership responsible for failing to do what they said they would do.

Eventually the Patriots will have to either take over the party, or like the original Pubs split from the whigs.

:yawn2: :yawn2: :yawn2: 11513 11513 11513 11513 11513 11513 11513 11513 11513
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline bilo

We are at around $1T interest cost with tax receipts a bit north of $4T, in a mediocre but fairly stable economy, and as of now has hockey sticked straight north. In '08 revenues crashed about 25%, so another recession will squeeze that even harder.

Do we think the world is going to fund our debt when most of it goes to pay interest?

You've got it exactly right!

It's why the BRICS movement has gained steam.

On top of this, even if interest rates dropped back to 3% the interest payments will continue to rise because old debt financed at much lower rates has to be refinanced and we are adding TRILLIONS of debt every year.

It's not widely reported, but even the Wall Street Journal has reported that the Treasury is having more trouble selling it's longer term Bonds, even at higher rates. The Bond Vigilantes are telling us that the USA may not back it's obligations long term. I hope some of the posters who think fighting for appropriation bills being how the govt is funded is not a fight worth fighting let that sink in.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 07:06:53 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

You've got it exactly right!

It's why the BRICS movement has gained steam.

On top of this, even if interest rates dropped back to 3% the interest payments will continue to rise because old debt financed at much lower rates has to be refinanced and we are adding TRILLIONS of debt every year.

It's not widely reported, but even the Wall Street Journal has reported that the Treasury is having more trouble selling it's longer term Bonds, even at higher rates. The Bond Vigilantes are telling us that the USA may not back it's obligations long term. I hope some of the posters who think fighting for appropriation bills being how the govt is funded is not a fight worth fighting let that sink in.

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik (R-NY) rejects McHenry motion, calls for 3rd floor vote
By Josh Christenson

GOP Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik (R-NY) rejected an approach to empower the McHenry motion, which she said was "Democrat-backed" — and called instead for another vote on the House floor.

"The people across #NY21 and America can rest assured that I strongly oppose any attempt to create a Democrat backed coalition government," she tweeted mid-afternoon Thursday.

"I will vote to support Jim Jordan for Speaker on the House Floor.

"We must work to unify Republicans as the last line of defense to save America."

https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1715078877372977190

NYPost
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

More than that... The hidden tax of inflation... Silver c. 1960s vs silver now... A 60's $1k is what now... about 30k?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
an hour ago
Rep. Massie: Expect 3rd house vote tonight; Jordan to ask McCarthy to deliver speech nominating him
By Josh Christenson

Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky has told The Post that he expects there to be a third speaker ballot at some point this evening, and that Jordan will ask McCarthy to deliver a nominating speech for him on the floor.

In the meantime, Massie said, Jordan will call the 20-odd GOP holdouts in a bid to win them over.

"Jim concluded the meeting by saying that he will talk to his wife and to the 20 people who were objecting to him, and then likely seek a third vote later today," according to Massie.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
4 minutes ago
Holdouts to meet with Jordan ahead of potential third ballot: source
By Josh Christenson

Jim Jordan will hold a 4 p.m. meeting with 22 holdouts who opposed him on the second ballot Wednesday, a source tells The Post.

It's unclear whether there will be a third ballot, with some members calling for a floor vote tonight and others calling for new candidates to emerge in the speakership fight.
Support the USO

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
According to the ACU, McHenry was rated in the low 70s in recent years, while McCarthy was closer to 80%.  So it was unwise of Gaetz to roll the dice, when he knew a freedom caucuser would not be elected speaker by the 118th congress.
It doesn't look like anyone has the support to be elected speaker at this rate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Which is exactly why we can't keep passing spending bills. That means going over the fiscal cliff and telling the usury lenders that have screwed us over and the dependent masses who have grown literally fat on borrowed largess a simple word: NO.

The budget has to be balanced. No more questions. And that means telling people NO once in a while when they want money we haven't had in years.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

Yeah I get it, the Establishment Loyalists never want to hold leadership responsible for failing to do what they said they would do.

Eventually the Patriots will have to either take over the party, or like the original Pubs split from the whigs.

That is correct. Either we the people vote in enough conservatives to become the majority or this exercise is futile. Time to move on to your option "B"...start another new party.

Offline kevindavis007

That is correct. Either we the people vote in enough conservatives to become the majority or this exercise is futile. Time to move on to your option "B"...start another new party.

For sure this time?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Maj. Bill Martin

I don't seem how starting a new party helps.

To get control of the GOP, you need to elect just over half of the members.  But if you can't even get enough votes to elect half of the GOP's members, then how are you going to have enough votes to outvote the GOP as a whole?

Offline DB

Until conservatives stop voting for the lesser evil there won't be any actual change.

As long as they aren't as bad as the Democrats they know they own your vote. The net result is you get what you voted for...

Offline libertybele

To get control of the GOP, you need to elect just over half of the members.  But if you can't even get enough votes to elect half of the GOP's members, then how are you going to have enough votes to outvote the GOP as a whole?

Certain members such as McConnell like to make sure that his cronies remain and certainly he doesn't want conservatives rocking his boat so he backs RINO's. A new party full of true conservatives would be wonderful.  It's finding enough conservatives to run that is a problem as well as very much needed, competent and courageous leader (Ted Cruz).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

I don't think starting a new party is the answer either.  My post was somewhat ineloquent and I left of the sarcasm tag after option "B".

Offline roamer_1

Certain members such as McConnell like to make sure that his cronies remain and certainly he doesn't want conservatives rocking his boat so he backs RINO's. A new party full of true conservatives would be wonderful.  It's finding enough conservatives to run that is a problem as well as very much needed, competent and courageous leader (Ted Cruz).

Continuing to participate in a rigged game is futile. That's why conservatives do not play it...

Online Maj. Bill Martin

A new party full of true conservatives would be wonderful.  It's finding enough conservatives to run that is a problem as well as very much needed, competent and courageous leader (Ted Cruz).

I think it's more a question of finding enough voters to elect them.  I mean, if there aren't even enough of us to win primaries within the GOP, how are the fraction of conservatives within the GOP splitting off and running separately going to win general elections against the Democrats?

So let's say Ted Cruz left the GOP and ran in some new conservative party.  He'd lose everyone to the left of him who stayed in the GOP, then would have to win election against a Democrat despite losing all those other Republicans.

I just don't see it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 10:20:42 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

To many people, the Federal Debt is such an abstract, intangible thing, it might as well be the Great Pumpkin.  It doesn't seem relevant and relateable.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

I think it's more a question of finding enough voters to elect them.  I mean, if there aren't even enough of us to win primaries within the GOP, how are the fraction of conservatives within the GOP splitting off and running separately going to win general elections against the Democrats?

So let's say Ted Cruz left the GOP and ran in some new conservative party.  He'd lose everyone to the left of him who stayed in the GOP, then would have to win election against a Democrat despite losing all those other Republicans.

I just don't see it.

That's not right. On the whole, EVERYBODY on the Right is a conservative at election time.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Matt Gaetz
@mattgaetz

Ever seen a SWAMP actually drained?

This Florida Man has.

It’s not orderly.

Turns out, the alligators & snakes get unruly when the comfort of their habitat is disrupted.

Chaos doesn’t scare me.

American decline does.

Our fight continues.

Thank you for having my back!

5:13 PM · Oct 19, 2023

JR Majewski
@JRMajewski

It’s not easy being the enemy of the Swamp.

@mattgaetz needs backup.

I’m coming in 2024. We’re not just going to drain this swamp, we are going to fill it with concrete.

3:48 PM · Oct 19, 2023

Until conservatives stop voting for the lesser evil there won't be any actual change.

As long as they aren't as bad as the Democrats they know they own your vote. The net result is you get what you voted for...

:thumbsup: