Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12616 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Problem we have is that there is not a clear cut, acceptable, honorable leader of the Republican Party right now.  It is a torn sailed, rudderless hot mess.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

Ever heard that saying “half a loaf is better than no bread?” 

Ever heard that saying "keep putting the same Establishment bastards in power, keep getting the same results"?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Problem we have is that there is not a clear cut, acceptable, honorable leader of the Republican Party right now.  It is a torn sailed, rudderless hot mess.

Sure we do.  It's just that there are so few Republicans in Congress who want that honorable leader.  Like you said, torn and rudderless.  And most of all, corrupt.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline kevindavis007

Truth.

The other truth is that a lot of those RINOs will actually support some conservative legislation if they believe it can pass, and that it will have the support of enough of their voters.  That's why the RINO's jumped on board with the Contract with America.  So it is possible.

But those conditions do not exist when you have this narrow a majority in only one house of Congress, and the Democrats control everything else.  The RINO's are not going to be willing to endure a long shutdown where Republicans look like a minority trying to impose their view on a majority.

The way to turn the country in a more conservative direction is to win more House seats to increase the margin, and then win either the Senate or Presidency, preferably both.  And even that only works if the Republican President you elects believes in fiscal restraint.

Unfortunately, the odds of that happening in 2024 look vanishingly small.  And changing Speakers won't make a damn bit of difference in the face of those underlying dynamics.

That is the hard truth that a lot of people here and also on talk radio along with people on Social media refused to acknowledge!
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sure we do.  It's just that there are so few Republicans in Congress who want that honorable leader.  Like you said, torn and rudderless.  And most of all, corrupt.

That's pretty much it. They are trying to smokescreen this by blaming Gaetz and trying to get him back when they stand on zero principles other than keeping the train rolling.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That's pretty much it. They are trying to smokescreen this by blaming Gaetz and trying to get him back when they stand on zero principles other than keeping the train rolling.

:bingo:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

The other truth is that a lot of those RINOs will actually support some conservative legislation if they believe it can pass, and that it will have the support of enough of their voters.  That's why the RINO's jumped on board with the Contract with America.  So it is possible.

Republicans jumped on board with the Contract With America because it was the first time they had tasted power in almost 40 years.  But once they realized it required hard work, they began longing for their minority status again where they got to collect the perks without actually having to do anything.  The bottom line is that Republicans don't want to lead.  It is simply not in their nature.  Which is why we continue getting a CR year after year after year.  And why we are now over $30 trillion in debt.

Online corbe

In the race to be Speaker, Jim Jordan learns Trump tactics only work for Trump 

BY KEITH NAUGHTON, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 10/20/23 4:00 PM ET

Intimidation, backstabbing and flaunting the will of the majority are all tactics that Donald Trump has used expertly to dominate the Republican Party. Wannabe House Speaker Jim Jordan has tried the same gameplan, only to find out that he’s no Trump. It took three failed ballots for that reality to sink in for Jordan and his fuming, fumbling allies.

It was not so long ago the GOP House caucus voted to elect Steve Scalise to be Speaker, defeating Jordan by a clear, but not overwhelming, margin of 113 to 99. At that point, regardless of the outcome on the House floor, Jordan should have been disqualified for the job. He lost, end of story. If Scalise could not get a majority before the full chamber, then Republicans should have ruled out Scalise and Jordan.

But Jordan and his henchmen (and women) had another plan. A sliver of caucus members announced they would not vote for Scalise, tanking his candidacy. While Jordan did publicly support Scalise, it did not sway the gaggle of holdouts.

After over 30 years working in, observing and analyzing politics, you learn a thing or two about the public pronouncements of ambitious politicians — namely, don’t trust them, ever. I have no doubt that Jim Jordan’s public endorsement was a complete sham. In my opinion, he plotted with his allies to block a Scalise win, planning to then bulldoze any opposition on his way to the Speaker’s chair.

It’s the Trump playbook: do whatever it takes to undermine your opponent and then play a game of chicken, forcing the other guy to duck. But Jordan is not Trump. Jordan does not have the charisma and feel for the room Trump has. Worse, Jordan does not have Trump’s power — which means his game of chicken simply won’t work.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4267204-in-the-race-to-be-speaker-jim-jordan-learns-trump-tactics-only-work-for-trump/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

Not agreeing with that, @corbe

Online corbe

Not agreeing with that, @corbe

I didn't either @Hoodat but I thought it interesting enough to share, even though it is The Swill.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

I didn't either @Hoodat but I thought it interesting enough to share, even though it is The Swill.

Jordan as some Machiavellian type trying to seize power by any means necessary while voting for McCarthy/Scalise on every single vote?  Yeah, right.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline bilo

Ever heard that saying "keep putting the same Establishment bastards in power, keep getting the same results"?

:amen:

I think a lot of these Establishment Loyalists will have a harder time getting re-elected if they aren't primaried. Why come out and vote for them?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

To illustrate your point, the recent closed door secret ballot had more Establishment Loyalists voting against Jordan than for Jordan, but on the House floor in Public it was only 22 that voted against Jordan. They want the base to support them, but don't want to represent the base.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

Yep.  Thankfully, we were able to get rid of Tom Price (GA) when he went to work for Trump.  He would have been next in line behind Scalise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To illustrate your point, the recent closed door secret ballot had more Establishment Loyalists voting against Jordan than for Jordan, but on the House floor in Public it was only 22 that voted against Jordan. They want the base to support them, but don't want to represent the base.

There are FAR too many people in the Party who crave Business as Usual.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

This is why we can't do business as usual anymore. At the current rate we'll be approaching half our federal receipts being eaten up by interest in roughly another 3 or 4 years. That's if the economy doesn't take a crap and the interest payments trend doesn't accelerate.

Does anyone really think the world is going to fund us when deficits are 2 or 3 times our income? There are no more half loafs or putting up with smooth, slick suit, glad handing, back slapping and helmet hair for another 40 or 50 years in some delusion belief that conservatives just need to wait in line for their time.

Make some bold moves now or it is over.
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Republicans jumped on board with the Contract With America because it was the first time they had tasted power in almost 40 years.  But once they realized it required hard work, they began longing for their minority status again where they got to collect the perks without actually having to do anything.  The bottom line is that Republicans don't want to lead.  It is simply not in their nature.  Which is why we continue getting a CR year after year after year.  And why we are now over $30 trillion in debt.

I disagree with pretty much all that.  I've never believed they wanted to be in the minority.  They want to be in the majority.  Unfortunately, so do the Democrats, so it's not that easy.

I will say that there was at least one hardline Freedom Caucus member who admitted praying for as small a GOP margin in the House as possible:

Republican congressman admits he 'was praying' for 'small' GOP House majority before 2022 midterm elections

A Republican congressman and member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus admitted last week he "was praying" the GOP would win just a "small" majority in the House of Representatives ahead of the 2022 midterm elections in order to shift the party further to the right, according to video obtained Monday by Fox News Digital.

"When a lot of people, unfortunately, were voting, to have a 270, 280 Republican House, I was praying each evening for a small majority, because I recognize that that small majority was the only way that we were going to advance a conservative agenda," Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont., said during a closed briefing, which The Messenger first reported was "a virtual briefing for around 50 top conservative donors."

"If it was the right majority, that if we had six or seven very strong individuals, we would drag the conference over to the right," he added.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republican-congressman-admits-praying-small-gop-house-majority-2022-midterm-elections

But that's not RINO's refusing to lead - that's a conservative attaching more importance to controlling the caucus than to passing actual legislation.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 06:19:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Hoodat

This is why we can't do business as usual anymore. At the current rate we'll be approaching half our federal receipts being eaten up by interest in roughly another 3 or 4 years. That's if the economy doesn't take a crap and the interest payments trend doesn't accelerate.

.  .  .

Make some bold moves now or it is over.

I would like to see any of these schmucks explain how the things they spent borrowed money on ten years ago were so crucial back then to justify the hundreds of billions of dollars in interest payments we are paying on that money now.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
But that's not RINO's refusing to lead - that's a conservative attaching more importance to controlling the caucus than to passing actual legislation.

Totally reject your conclusions. The whole point of dragging things to the right was to hold the moderates feet to the fire on legislation, like the budget, which they tried to do but were basically flouted.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

I disagree with pretty much all that.  I've never believed they wanted to be in the minority.  They want to be in the majority.

They may say that.  But they don't act like it.  Again and again, they have forfeited power through sheer cowardice and inaction.  Looking back on it, Paul Ryan and John Boehner were the two best Speakers the Democrats ever had.  This all started in 2006 when the GOP controlled the White House, House, and Senate.  And they couldn't get a damn thing done.  If they had reformed Social Security, Republicans would have won every election for the next 20 years.  But no, couldn't rock the boat.  Had to do what leadership said.  Didn't want to offend anyone.

Uh, no.  Conservatives want Conservative legislation.  Period.  They could care less who is doing it.  McCarthy could have been that guy.  But he knew up front he was lying to all the Conservatives.  He basically sabotaged them all with his August recess.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
But no, couldn't rock the boat.  Had to do what leadership said.  Didn't want to offend anyone.

Republican Reps want Democrats to be in charge. Always have. Always do.
Then they can slink back to the shadows, do nothing, and collect their grift out of sight.
Nobody was more disappointed with a Republican majority than Republicans.
So now they are fixing that mistake of circumstance.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.