Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12352 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House speaker vote expected Tuesday as Jordan lobbies GOP holdouts
by Emily Jacobs, Congressional Reporter
October 15, 2023 04:01 PM

A notice sent out by House Majority Whip Tom Emmer's (R-MN) office told House Republicans to expect the first floor votes of the week on Tuesday, Oct. 17.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-OH) and his allies have been pushing for the Tuesday floor vote to give the GOP speaker nominee time to meet with holdouts on Monday. A separate notice sent out by House Minority Whip Katherine Clark (D-MA) on Sunday afternoon told members to expect a floor vote on the next speaker on Tuesday at 12 p.m.

The House has gone 11 days without an official speaker after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) introduced a motion to vacate that ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA). The move marked the first time a speaker was removed from their post in the middle of their tenure.

The House voted in a secret ballot on Friday to make Jordan the GOP's speaker-designee after House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-LA) dropped out of consideration for the position.

Jordan won the nomination in a 124-81 vote, a far cry from the 217 needed to secure the speaker’s gavel. Jordan upped his numbers in a second vote, 152-55.

A source familiar with the matter tells the Washington Examiner that Jordan is intent on putting members on the record after spending the weekend working to convince those opposing him to reconsider.

In the meantime, House Democrats are preparing to engage in more formal discussions with their GOP counterparts on a possible bipartisan solution.

“There are informal conversations that have been underway,” House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) told NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday. “When we get back to Washington tomorrow, it’s important to begin to formalize those discussions.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-speaker-vote-expected-tuesday-jordan-lobbies-holdouts
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
“There are informal conversations that have been underway,” House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries

Yeah what is Jordan giving the Dems for their support...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yeah what is Jordan giving the Dems for their support...

If that is the case, he's no better than McCarthy, Ryan, Boehner, etc.  Sell-out incorporated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I thought being a holdout was some kind of original sin? Why aren't they getting in line and doing what they're told like a bunch of brats?
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Turner: If GOP can’t elect Speaker then ‘deal will have to be done’ with Democrats
by Miranda Nazzaro - 10/15/23 2:27 PM ET

Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio) said Sunday if House Republicans cannot elect a Speaker soon then a “deal will have to be done” with Democrats in order to get the chamber running again, as it nears two weeks since Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) historic ousting.

Asked on CBS News’s “Face the Nation” if there is a possible alternative scenario in which Republicans will need to work with Democrats to find a “mutually acceptable Speaker,” Turner responded that while he prefers a Republican solution to electing a Speaker and supports Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a few hard-line GOP members may force a bipartisan deal.

“I think Jim Jordan will be an excellent Speaker. I think he’ll be able to get to 217. If not, we have other leaders in the House. And certainly, if there is a need if the radical, you know, almost just handful of people in the Republican side, make it unable … to be able to return to general work on the House, then I think obviously, there will be a deal [that] will have to be done,” Turner said.

McCarthy was booted from the top spot in a 216-210 vote nearly two weeks ago, making him the first Speaker to to ever be ousted. Eight Republicans joined all House Democrats in voting to take away the gavel from the California Republican.

In the chaotic set of days that followed, the Republicans vying for the Speakership have been met with internal division and opposition, making it more difficult to garner the 217 needed to take the top spot.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4257216-turner-if-gop-cant-elect-speaker-then-deal-will-have-to-be-done-with-democrats/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio) said Sunday if House Republicans cannot elect a Speaker soon then a “deal will have to be done” with Democrats in order to get the chamber running again

Who said that getting the chamber running again is a good thing?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Who said that getting the chamber running again is a good thing?

I think a very large majority of House Republicans believe that the House must be able to pass legislation sooner or later.

There probably are some who'd just prefer for the entire government to crash and be able to do literally nothing, but I suspect that's a small minority.

Because at some point, you'd have literally zero federal government employees.  No military, no border, no courts, nobody to process Social Security checks or Medicare benefits, no air traffic controllers...literally nothing.

So while some folks who romanticize anarchy believes that would be a good thing, they don't have the votes regardless of whether they are correct or not.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:58:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline roamer_1

I think a very large majority of House Republicans believe that the House must be able to pass legislation sooner or later.

There probably are some who'd just prefer for the entire government to crash and be able to do literally nothing, but I suspect that's a small minority.

Because at some point, you'd have literally zero federal government employees.  No military, no border, no courts, nobody to process Social Security checks or Medicare benefits, no air traffic controllers...literally nothing.

So while some folks who romanticize anarchy believes that would be a good thing, they don't have the votes regardless of whether they are correct or not.

That's neither fair, nor true. No one here promotes anarchy.

Offline Hoodat

Then pass it.  You don't need a Speaker to get a bill passed.  There was a CR a year or so back that passed with only two members on the floor.  Congress does whatever in the hell they want.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

That's neither fair, nor true. No one here promotes anarchy.

Well, what would you call it if the federal government went completely unfunded for an extended period, and literally nobody who received a federal paycheck had a job anymore? No military, nobody to process social security or Medicare, no border security, nobody to enforce any federal laws at all...it literally all just stopped.  No air traffic...none of it.  For months/years.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Then pass it.  You don't need a Speaker to get a bill passed. There was a CR a year or so back that passed with only two members on the floor.  Congress does whatever in the hell they want.

Apparently you do, under the Rules.  Committees can keep operating, and what you saw had to have someone in the Chair.  The problem is, if there is no Speaker - or nobody to whom he has given the gavel under the rules, then nobody can recognize a matter on the floor.   

The real question is whether the Speaker Pro Tempore has that power, and if he does, then you're right.  Don't need a Speaker, and McHenry already has those powers.  So just screw the whole election of a new Speaker and keep chugging ahead with McHenry.

Offline roamer_1

Well, what would you call it if the federal government went completely unfunded for an extended period, and literally nobody who received a federal paycheck had a job anymore? No military, nobody to process social security or Medicare, no border security, nobody to enforce any federal laws at all...it literally all just stopped.  No air traffic...none of it.  For months/years.

You're hyperventilating, @Maj. Bill Martin ... We have plenty of Tumpsters to do that around here...  :beer:

Offline Hoodat

Apparently you do, under the Rules.  Committees can keep operating, and what you saw had to have someone in the Chair.  The problem is, if there is no Speaker - or nobody to whom he has given the gavel under the rules, then nobody can recognize a matter on the floor.   

When have House rules ever stopped the House from doing anything?  They can suspend the rules any time they want on voice votes without a rollcall.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Proud Elephant 🇺🇸🦅
@ProudElephantUS
·
Follow
🚨 JUST IN: Here are the 6 Republicans that have said they are considering working with the Democrats to elect a Democrat Speaker if Jim Jordan is the nominee.

1. Mike Rogers (AL)
2. Ann Wagner (MO)
3. Don Bacon (NE)
4. Vern Buchanan (FL)
5. Carlos Gimenez (FL)
6. Mario Diaz

↑  ↑  ↑  ↑

THIS is the Establishment we are fighting against.  There is no way in hell I am ever supporting any Republican willing to vote for a Dem as Speaker when Republicans hold the majority.  I know Jim Jordan would never do that.  To hell with them all.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑

THIS is the Establishment we are fighting against.  There is no way in hell I am ever supporting any Republican willing to vote for a Dem as Speaker when Republicans hold the majority.  I know Jim Jordan would never do that.  To hell with them all.

This is my entire point. Everybody's pissy and wants to expel Gaetz from the House for removing McCarthy, but it's ok for these clowns to prevent Jordan from becoming Speaker  and elect a Rat.

Hypocrisy so thick you can slice it like bread.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 04:52:25 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Can you say Speaker Jeffries

https://twitter.com/ProudElephantUS/status/1713705984546255079

6 that need to lose 100% RNC money and a massive primary challenge.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Turner: If GOP can’t elect Speaker then ‘deal will have to be done’ with Democrats
by Miranda Nazzaro - 10/15/23 2:27 PM ET

Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio) said Sunday if House Republicans cannot elect a Speaker soon then a “deal will have to be done” with Democrats in order to get the chamber running again, as it nears two weeks since Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) historic ousting.

Asked on CBS News’s “Face the Nation” if there is a possible alternative scenario in which Republicans will need to work with Democrats to find a “mutually acceptable Speaker,” Turner responded that while he prefers a Republican solution to electing a Speaker and supports Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a few hard-line GOP members may force a bipartisan deal.

“I think Jim Jordan will be an excellent Speaker. I think he’ll be able to get to 217. If not, we have other leaders in the House. And certainly, if there is a need if the radical, you know, almost just handful of people in the Republican side, make it unable … to be able to return to general work on the House, then I think obviously, there will be a deal [that] will have to be done,” Turner said.

McCarthy was booted from the top spot in a 216-210 vote nearly two weeks ago, making him the first Speaker to to ever be ousted. Eight Republicans joined all House Democrats in voting to take away the gavel from the California Republican.

In the chaotic set of days that followed, the Republicans vying for the Speakership have been met with internal division and opposition, making it more difficult to garner the 217 needed to take the top spot.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4257216-turner-if-gop-cant-elect-speaker-then-deal-will-have-to-be-done-with-democrats/

Congratulations, Mr. Gaetz.  How big was that check from the DNC?

Offline mountaineer

DC_Draino
@DC_Draino
Hair jokes aside, Rep. Mike Rogers is openly organizing a coalition of Democrats to join with RINOs to elect a Uniparty Speaker (possibly Hakeem Jeffries)

The reason is simple

Mike is Chair of Armed Services and bought out by defense contractors

Jim Jordan wants to stop Ukraine funding

The Military Industrial Complex has been funding Mike Rogers for years so they have him on a tight leash to be their little Congressional war funding simp
3:03 PM · Oct 15, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

You're hyperventilating, @Maj. Bill Martin ... We have plenty of Tumpsters to do that around here...  :beer:

I'm not hyperventilating - I'm taking what some people say at face value.  You know, as if they actually mean what they say.  Novel concept, I know....

So I assume you at least would agree that shutting down the federal government long-term is not a viable strategy.  Right? Because believe it or not, there really are people advocating exactly that. 

Now maybe they're just posturing.  Maybe.  But it really doesn't matter because that rhetoric alone is going to push the moderates into making a deal with someone who isn't telling people they don't have a problem with a long-term shutdown.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

When have House rules ever stopped the House from doing anything?  They can suspend the rules any time they want on voice votes without a rollcall.

Of course, every time there has been a vote to suspend the rules, that vote itself has been authorized and put on the floor by...the Speaker. 

It's also important to remember that the position of Speaker is itself specifically mandated by the Constitution, which says that the House "shall" chuse its Speaker and other officers.  So to the extent Republicans decided that they didn't need a Speaker, they would actually be violating their Constitutional oath.

I'm personally in favor of just ratifying McHenry, and moving forward.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

DC_Draino
@DC_Draino
Hair jokes aside, Rep. Mike Rogers is openly organizing a coalition of Democrats to join with RINOs to elect a Uniparty Speaker (possibly Hakeem Jeffries)

The reason is simple

Mike is Chair of Armed Services and bought out by defense contractors

Jim Jordan wants to stop Ukraine funding

The Military Industrial Complex has been funding Mike Rogers for years so they have him on a tight leash to be their little Congressional war funding simp
3:03 PM · Oct 15, 2023

I don't think that's what Rogers is actually doing...at least not yet.  I think he's trying to apply pressure to the conservatives to compromise.

But I do think there are more than enough votes to sink Jordan the same way McCarthy and Scalise were sunk.  So the question is whether or not it is possible to elect a compromise candidate.  If not...then Rogers and co. may look to the Democrats.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 02:52:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

This is my entire point. Everybody's pissy and wants to expel Gaetz from the House for removing McCarthy, but it's ok for these clowns to prevent Jordan from becoming Speaker  and elect a Rat.

Hypocrisy so thick you can slice it like bread.

Great point!

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mountaineer

Rogers has changed his tune and now says he'll vote for Jordan.
Mike Rogers
@RepMikeRogersAL
@Jim_Jordan and I have had two cordial, thoughtful, and productive conversations over the past two days. We agreed on the need for Congress to pass a strong NDAA, appropriations to fund our government's vital functions, and other important legislation like the Farm Bill.

As a result, I have decided to support Jim Jordan for Speaker of the House on the floor.

Since I was first elected to the House, I have always been a team player and supported what the majority of the Republican Conference agrees to. Together, our Republican majority will be stronger to fight Joe Biden’s reckless agenda for America.
9:34 AM · Oct 16, 2023
I've read that Rep. Ann Wagner is the only holdout.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org