Author Topic: Louisiana flips RED, elects Trump-endorsed Republican Jeff Landry as Governor  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Louisiana flips RED, elects Trump-endorsed Republican Jeff Landry as Governor
The Post Millennial, Oct 14, 2023

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry claimed victory in the state's gubernatorial race, as projected by the AP.

"Landry, 52, has raised the profile of attorney general since being elected in 2015. He has used his office to champion conservative policy positions" the AP reported.

Conservative voting activist Scott Presler, who was instrumental in get out the vote efforts in the state, celebrated the victory, tweeting: "Spent a good part of the last year working on the Louisiana gubernatorial race. People thought I was crazy for thinking we could win outright. Congratulations Governor-Elect Jeff Landry. Thank you to everyone that wrote letters to new movers. Holy cow. We did it."

The competition saw Landry amidst a crowded field of more than a dozen candidates in the jungle primary, where candidates from all parties share the same ballot. Initially anticipated to head to a runoff between the top two vote-getters if no candidate secured over 50 percent of the vote, Landry surpassed this threshold, securing more than half of the vote as of late Saturday night.

Enjoying the support of former President Trump, Landry was expected by many political observers to face Democrat Shawn Wilson in a runoff scheduled for November.

However, Landry's strong performance on Saturday has provided a boost to the GOP, particularly its conservative and populist wing.

More:
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-louisiana-flips-red-elects-trump-endorsed-republican-jeff-landry-as-governor?utm_campaign=64501

Offline Hoodat

It's not that Louisiana flipped Red.  It was already Red.  It's just that the GOP couldn't field a candidate who wasn't a overtly corrupt sleazebag the last two elections.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
Hallelujah! I am celebrating down here in Louisiana. I can’t wait until John Bel Edwards is gone now.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoodat

Hallelujah! I am celebrating down here in Louisiana. I can’t wait until John Bel Edwards is gone now.

Congrats, @LilLamb  - très bien, cher.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

It's not that Louisiana flipped Red.  It was already Red.  It's just that the GOP couldn't field a candidate who wasn't a overtly corrupt sleazebag the last two elections.

Trump won  Louisiana  decisively over both Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. It was unlikely that that Governorship was going to stay in democrat hands for very long

If I recall, I believe Louisiana voted for Bill Clinton

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

Trump won  Louisiana  decisively over both Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. It was unlikely that that Governorship was going to stay in democrat hands for very long

If I recall, I believe Louisiana voted for Bill Clinton

The GOP candidate four years ago was Eddie Rispone who is as sleezy as they come.   I worked with a lot of Republicans down there, and most of them were ok with Bel Edwards winning the runoff because of Rispone.

It is ironic that Trump endorsed Landry considering that he is a staunch supporter of Louisiana's abortion law which is  far more strict than Florida's law (which Trump ridiculed).

Anyway, Bel Edwards had to sit out the next four years because of a two-consecutive-term restriction, but he is qualified to run again in 2027.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Greg Price
@greg_price11

In addition to Republicans flipping the the governor's mansion in Louisiana tonight, all the members of the @LAFreedomCaucus were re-elected and the caucus expanded its ranks in the state senate.

Big W for the @SFC_Network.

Time for red state governance conservatives deserve!

11:28 PM · Oct 14, 2023

Offline LMAO

I believe  every deep southern state now has a Republican governor.

This is going to be important in the coming years especially with a Democrat expected to hold the White House after 2024.

And this is also why down ticket races are going to be important next year.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 03:47:44 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I believe now every deep southern state now has a Republican governor.

This is going to be important in the coming years especially with a Democrat expected to hold the White House after 2024.

It's almost like the 1860's 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Very impressive. And I'm guessing the National party had little to nothing to do with it.
The Republic is lost.

Very impressive. And I'm guessing the National party had little to nothing to do with it.

Good guess  :thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

I believe  every deep southern state now has a Republican governor.

It's important that the GOP be diligently working on free and fair elections, pushing for one-day voting, and no mail in ballots.  Of course I'm sure Ronna is right on that.  :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Republicans Flip Louisiana Governor’s Mansion
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 12:21:35 pm »
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 10/16/2023

This is a somewhat unexpected story, only because I was unaware that Louisiana had a governor’s race this year. Also, who has a gubernatorial election in October? Not only is the answer “Louisiana,” but it’s not even one of their weird Napoleonic Code holdovers, it’s something they went to in 1977.

Louisiana’s Republican Attorney General Jeff Landry just won Louisiana’s gubernatorial election, picking up a majority in their jungle primary, hence the October victory.

On Saturday, Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry cruised to victory and became the state’s first Republican governor in eight years.

“Today’s election says that our state is united,” Landry said in his victory speech. “It’s a wake-up call and it’s a message that everyone should hear loud and clear, that we the people in this state are going to expect more out of our government from here on out.”

According to The Daily Wire, Landry beat out his next closest challenger, Democrat Shawn Wilson, by 51.6% to 25.9% in Lousiana’s all-party primary election.

Louisiana has a “jungle primary” system, meaning that the expected runoff was averted because Landry garnered more than 50% of the vote in the 16-candidate field, including Republicans, Democrats, and independents. It’s the first time that’s happened since the 2007 and 2011 elections, with former Republican Governor Bobby Jindal winning both contests handily.

In May, Trump endorsed Landry, saying, “I am endorsing your Attorney General Jeff Landry for Governor. He has been a fantastic Attorney General. He wants to stop crime. He loves the people of Louisiana just like I do.”

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=56137

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Republicans Flip Louisiana Governor’s Mansion
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 10:32:29 pm »
But...   but...  Trump-endorsed candidates CAN'T WIN...
Right...?

Offline LMAO

Re: Republicans Flip Louisiana Governor’s Mansion
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 03:48:21 am »
But...   but...  Trump-endorsed candidates CAN'T WIN...
Right...?

This is Louisiana were Trump beat Biden by  18 points in 2020

Barry Goldwater

Offline Mod5

Merged.