Author Topic: Texas death row inmate recites lengthy Psalm in last statement before execution  (Read 539 times)

Offline Kamaji

Texas death row inmate recites lengthy Psalm in last statement before execution

By Louis Casiano, Fox News
Published Oct. 12, 2023

A Texas man convicted of killing an elderly woman decades ago was put to death Tuesday, an execution that took place hours after the US Supreme Court overturned an order that delayed the sentence.

Jedidiah Murphy, 48, was pronounced dead at 10:15 p.m., after a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for the October 2000 fatal shooting of 80-year-old Bertie Lee Cunningham of the Dallas suburb of Garland. She was killed during a carjacking.

Hours before his execution, Murphy was given the standard meal afforded to all inmates at the correctional facility, as Texas did away with the customary last meal for death row inmates years ago.

Inmates are allowed to choose from items on the menu at the unit that particular day.

On Tuesday, the menu included baked chicken, pinto beans, cheesy rice vegetable blend, corn, peaches, sliced bread, a cheeseburger, green beans, oven-fried potatoes, pickles and mustard, a spokesperson for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice told Fox News Digital.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/12/texas-inmate-jedidiah-murphy-recites-psalm-in-last-statement-before-execution/

Offline Kamaji

As part of his last statement, Murphy recited Psalm 34, the TDCJ said. 

“To the family of the victim, I sincerely apologize for all of it,” Murphy said while strapped to a gurney in the Texas death chamber and after a Christian pastor, his right hand on Murphy’s chest, prayed for the victim’s family, Murphy’s family and friends and the inmate.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I hope he was sincere in his apology.

The man who murdered my niece and her friend sits in the same death row prison. I’d be shocked if he ever takes responsibility and apologizes to our family for the pain he caused.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline libertybele

I hope he was sincere in his apology.

The man who murdered my niece and her friend sits in the same death row prison. I’d be shocked if he ever takes responsibility and apologizes to our family for the pain he caused.

It's hard not to question the sincerity.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.