Author Topic: Mexico says it has rejected US-funded migrant transit centers  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mexico says it has rejected US-funded migrant transit centers
« on: October 12, 2023, 01:35:48 pm »
Mexico says it has rejected US-funded migrant transit centers
by: Associated Press

Posted: Oct 10, 2023 / 02:09 PM CDT

Updated: Oct 10, 2023 / 02:09 PM CDT

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president said Tuesday that he rejected a U.S. request to set up migrant transit centers in Mexico. Neighboring Guatemala has set up one such center, where migrants can apply for U.S. work and refugee visas.

But President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has so far rejected a U.S. request to set up sites in Mexico, noting he would prefer to have such centers in countries that are the sources of migration, despite the fact that a considerable number of migrants enter the United States from Mexico.

López Obrador said that he would raise the subject in a meeting of Latin American leaders he will host later this month, suggesting that the countries might agree to a common plan on such sites.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/mexico-says-it-has-rejected-us-funded-migrant-transit-centers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson