Author Topic: CBC tells journalists to not call Hamas 'terrorists' in leaked memo  (Read 275 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

CBC tells journalists to not call Hamas 'terrorists' in leaked memo
Story by National Post Staff •
18h

A leaked memo from the CBC tells its journalists to avoid use of the word “terrorist” when referring to Hamas fighters in its coverage of the ongoing war in Israel and the Gaza strip.

“Do not refer to militants, soldiers, or anyone else as ‘terrorists,'” the memo states, emphasizing “do not” with bold type. “The notion of terrorism remains heavily politicized and is part of the story. Even when quoting/clipping a government or a source referring to fighters as ‘terrorists,’ we should add context to ensure the audience understands this is opinion, not fact. The includes statements from the Canadian government and Canadian politicians.”

The memo originated from George Achi, Director of Journalistic Standards at the public broadcaster. It also cautions CBC journalists

At least one Canadian political took issue with that ruling. Conservative Senator Leo Housakos took to X (formerly Twitter), calling Hamas “a blood thirsty terrorist group,” and adding: “The CBC doesn’t have the journalistic integrity to call it as it is.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/canada/cbc-tells-journalists-to-not-call-hamas-terrorists-in-leaked-memo/ar-AA1i3id9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=002f5de64b684b57ba14d63d54722587&ei=28
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: CBC tells journalists to not call Hamas 'terrorists' in leaked memo
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:40:44 am »
Did the CBC get it's marching orders from Trudeau? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson