Author Topic: GOP Speaker race (October '23): Live coverage  (Read 5306 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Speaker race (October '23): Live coverage
« on: October 11, 2023, 05:18:57 pm »
Looks like Speaker Scalise

Scalise edges Jordan for GOP nomination for Speaker: Live coverage
by The Hill staff - 10/11/23 1:09 PM ET

Rep. Steve Scalise (La.) came out on top as House Republicans met Wednesday to pick their nominee for Speaker.

The conference was closely divided between the House majority leader from Louisiana and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio). Indeed the final vote was close — a win by 14 votes.

The vote came after Republicans killed a proposal to change the nominating process that was intended to avoid a messy floor fight.

Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) ouster last week was unprecedented, and the days since have featured curveball after curveball.

And as they struggle to come to a consensus, Republicans are staring down a looming government funding deadline and the outbreak of war in Israel.

Follow along with live updates below.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4249441-republicans-nominate-speaker-live-coverage/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:55:14 pm by Cyber Liberty »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Scalise edges Jordan for GOP nomination for Speaker: Live coverage
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »
Scalise wins

Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) has won the GOP race to become the next House Speaker, according to multiple House members. The vote tally was 113-99.

— Mychael Schnell and Emily Brooks
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online bilo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 05:39:35 pm »
Scalise wins

Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) has won the GOP race to become the next House Speaker, according to multiple House members. The vote tally was 113-99.

— Mychael Schnell and Emily Brooks

Good for him.

I really don't care who is Speaker as long as things change. If the Pubs now say they have to extend the CR and later agree to an omnibus bill nothing has changed. Time will tell.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 05:50:07 pm »
Good for him.

I really don't care who is Speaker as long as things change. If the Pubs now say they have to extend the CR and later agree to an omnibus bill nothing has changed. Time will tell.

We'll see if he walks the talk.... he said he would secure the border.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 05:56:17 pm »
House Republicans choose Scalise as their candidate for speaker after McCarthy's ouster

House Republicans have chosen Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., as their nominee for speaker after huddling behind closed doors for over two hours on Wednesday.

GOP lawmakers voted via secret ballot. Scalise won 113 votes, Jordan won 99. House Republicans voted minutes earlier to table a motion to raise the threshold for electing a speaker to 217 — a majority of the conference.

It comes after former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., was ousted in a vote by eight members of his own party and all House Democrats last week. That moment marked the first time in history the U.S. House of Representatives voted to remove its own leader.

The contest to replace him quickly became a two-man race between Scalise and Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio.

Scalise has been McCarthy’s longtime No. 2, despite a years long rivalry between the two............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-republicans-choose-scalise-as-their-candidate-for-speaker-after-mccarthys-ouster

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 06:02:34 pm »
Good for him.

Jordan already has said he's not opposed to a CR, so I can't imagine Scalise will be either.

Online bilo

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 06:08:30 pm »

It won't happen with a bunch of bills attached to a CR. Biden will just slow walk the rule, or ignore it. The only way it happens is if they tighten funding in other areas with the clear understanding more will be cut if Biden doesn't take real action.

Online bilo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 06:10:55 pm »
Jordan already has said he's not opposed to a CR, so I can't imagine Scalise will be either.

So the Establishment Loyalists win and any real movement to controlling the budget dies. Yay, go Pubs. /s

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:11:28 pm »

What Jordan was opposed to was more funding for Ukraine, which I agree with.  Scalise on the other hand was for giving Ukraine more $$.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 06:11:54 pm »
So the Establishment Loyalists win and any real movement to controlling the budget dies. Yay, go Pubs. /s

Pretty much so, unfortunately.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 06:19:49 pm »
Back to doing nothing to stop the Democrats.  Well, it was a nice pipe dream while it lasted.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 06:23:28 pm »

Of course, it's pretty much necessary right now... But what they do AFTER this CR will set the tone. That's what I will look for.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 06:23:37 pm »
Back to doing nothing to stop the Democrats.  Well, it was a nice pipe dream while it lasted.

Yeppers, same old same old crappola

(P.S. Stay safe in your travels.   :0001: )

Online bilo

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 06:34:48 pm »
Pretty much so, unfortunately.

The consequences of failing to get the budget under control are going to be very difficult to deal with. I'm thinking about the only thing you can do is get as debt free as possible and hope the dollar doesn't totally collapse.

Online bilo

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 06:40:57 pm »

I hope we are wrong, but it does not sound very positive at this point.

We had a brief moment where 8 strong Pubs stood up for what needed to be done. I suspect 5 years from now when serious talks start about limiting social security and medicare benefits we will look back and say why didn't we go back to doing what the law called for and start passing appropriation bills.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 06:42:17 pm »
Just great...Scalise doesn't have the votes...more embarrassment on the House floor

Pick someone!

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1712171554467901575
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2023, 06:43:50 pm »
Oh Brother

02:39 PMOctober 11, 2023
-
No floor vote on Speaker expected today

The House is not expected to vote on a Speaker today, despite Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) clinching the GOP nomination for the top spot this afternoon.

The House will come in at 3pm and recess, according to a source familiar.

— Mychael Schnell
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2023, 06:46:19 pm »
But a messy floor fight looms, with a number of Republicans already non-committal about supporting Scalise.

Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) ouster last week was unprecedented, and the days since have featured curveball after curveball.

And as they struggle to come to a consensus, Republicans are staring down a looming government funding deadline and the outbreak of war in Israel.

Perfect timing Matt...
-

Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 06:55:54 pm »

How is he supposed to do that as Speaker of the House, with a Senate in Democrat hands and the White House in Democrat hands?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2023, 06:57:28 pm »
I hope we are wrong, but it does not sound very positive at this point.

We had a brief moment where 8 strong Pubs stood up for what needed to be done. I suspect 5 years from now when serious talks start about limiting social security and medicare benefits we will look back and say why didn't we go back to doing what the law called for and start passing appropriation bills.

Uh, you do realize that this country is generally run on democratic principles, which means that, unless the Constitution says otherwise, the majority rules.  8 didn't do jack-shit other than piss all over the floor and make a right mess of things.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 07:08:33 pm »

Uh, you do realize that this country is generally run on democratic principles, which means that, unless the Constitution says otherwise, the majority rules.  8 didn't do jack-shit other than piss all over the floor and make a right mess of things.

In alliance with House Democrats.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 07:10:01 pm »
Yeppers, same old same old crappola

(P.S. Stay safe in your travels.   :0001: )

Thanks!  I am leaving in the next couple of hours.  Looks like Mrs Liberty will be there in Vegas for a few days.  I am bringing her cell phone so she can talk to our circle of friends!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 07:24:59 pm »
Thanks!  I am leaving in the next couple of hours.  Looks like Mrs Liberty will be there in Vegas for a few days.  I am bringing her cell phone so she can talk to our circle of friends!

....and the charger (I seem to always forget one).

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 07:31:09 pm »
Thomas Massie
@RepThomasMassie
Surprises are for little kids at birthday parties, not Congress. So, I let Scalise know in person that he doesn’t have my vote on the floor, because he has not articulated a viable plan for avoiding an omnibus.
1:49 PM · Oct 11, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 07:34:44 pm »

Driving?

Get her a tablet... This MS Surface got me through my last stay... and my wee 8" Droid tablet through the one before... still way better than squinting at a cell phone. Jussayin.