Author Topic: Shelter Crisis: 13,000 Migrants Released on Streets of San Diego due to Overcrowding  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Shelter Crisis: 13,000 Migrants Released on Streets of San Diego due to Overcrowding
© Provided by BNN Breaking

As the U.S. confronts an escalating migrant crisis, the city of San Diego has become an unexpected epicenter. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has been releasing thousands of migrants on the streets due to full shelters. Since September 13, the city has seen approximately 13,000 migrants dropped off at transit stations with notices to appear in immigration court, with around 500 more arriving daily. This unprecedented situation has created a humanitarian predicament that is testing the city’s resources and resolve.

Overcrowding Shelters: A Multifactorial Issue
Several factors have contributed to the current shelter crisis in San Diego. Migrant aid groups cite reduced government funding, CBP’s practice of sending migrants from Texas and Arizona to be processed in San Diego, and a surge in illegal crossings as some of the key reasons. The city’s migrant shelters have struggled to accommodate the influx, leaving many migrants waiting in remote areas or under Border Patrol watch before being released in the city. As a response to the overwhelming numbers, CBP has closed a major pedestrian border crossing from Tijuana and assigned more officials to process migrants.

The Humanitarian Response
Migrant aid groups have been working tirelessly to provide support for the thousands of migrants arriving in San Diego. These organizations are seeking government support to offer basic services at the transit center parking lot, where migrants receive travel advice from volunteers. County supervisors have recently voted to allocate $3 million to provide services to migrants for the next three months. Despite the overwhelming numbers, shelters have prioritized accommodating families with young children, members of the LGBTQ+ community, the elderly, and the medically frail. However, the majority of drop-offs are single adults, leaving a significant population underserved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/shelter-crisis-13-000-migrants-released-on-streets-of-san-diego-due-to-overcrowding/ar-AA1i0C3A?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ad543a6dbbe245139300ab30f0c5ee4a&ei=104
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson