Author Topic: Former Dodgers, Padres star Steve Garvey running for California Senate  (Read 543 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Former Dodgers, Padres star Steve Garvey running for California Senate
By Ryan King   
Published Oct. 10, 2023, 11:35 a.m. ET

Steve Garvey hit 272 home runs in his big league baseball career.

Now the former Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres star is swinging for the fences one more time as a candidate for US Senate from his adopted home state.

The 10-time All-Star, who helped propel the Dodgers past the Yankees in the 1981 World Series, announced Tuesday that he is running as a Republican for the seat left vacant by the death of Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) last month.

“Our campaign is focused on quality-of-life issues, public safety, and education,” Garvey said in a statement. “As a US Senator, I will serve with commonsense, compassion, and will work to build consensus to benefit all of the people of California.”

Garvey, 74, anchored the legendary Dodgers infield of the 1970s that featured Davy Lopes at second base, Bill Russell at shortstop and Ron Cey at third base — winning the National League Most Valuable Player award in 1974 and being named MVP of the National League Championship Series in 1978.

He signed with the Padres as a free agent ahead of the 1983 season and was named MVP of the NLCS the following year as San Diego won its first pennant.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/10/10/former-dodgers-star-steve-garvey-batters-up-for-california-senate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Former Dodgers, Padres star Steve Garvey running for California Senate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 03:28:39 pm »
I wonder if he'll get Cyndy's endprsement :silly: :silly: :silly: Seriously can't republicans find anyone without such a huge amount of baggage to run?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 04:02:00 pm »
I wonder if he'll get Cyndy's endprsement :silly: :silly: :silly: Seriously can't republicans find anyone without such a huge amount of baggage to run?

Exactly thoughts here too.  I forgot much of it, but didn't Garvey have all kind of shady sh__ going on at the end and afterwards in his MLB career?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 04:15:21 pm »
Exactly thoughts here too.  I forgot much of it, but didn't Garvey have all kind of shady sh__ going on at the end and afterwards in his MLB career?
Well let's just say he wasn't the squeaky clean all American boy he pretended to be and towards the end of his being newsworthy it came out he was having affairs with three women at the same time, fathered children out of wedlock and was behind in payments to the mothers :pondering: maybe he should reconsider and run as a democrat.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 04:56:24 pm »
His very real "baggage" seems to be nearly 35 tears behind him. I'm much more interested in his stances/views. Personally, his celebrity and (presumably) $$ are a negative for me. The last rich celebrity R elected to statewide office in CA was Ahnold the RINO. I'm still POed that Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ooooderate Rs got him to run in order to keep Tom McClintock out of the Governor's office.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 10:30:54 pm »
Strike One:
Too old.

Strike Two:
Doesn't California have a "jungle primary" for the Senate candidates?
If so, he may not even make the cut -- it will be two DCommunists.
(I could be completely wrong, and would enjoy seeing him in the race)