Author Topic: US House Republicans plot next moves on leader, McCarthy says he would go back  (Read 244 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US House Republicans plot next moves on leader, McCarthy says he would go back

October 09, 2023 — 11:02 am EDT

Written by Katharine Jackson for Reuters ->

By Katharine Jackson

WASHINGTON, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Less than a week after becoming the first U.S. Speaker of the House of Representatives voted out by his own caucus, Republican Kevin McCarthy told a radio interviewer on Monday he would take the job back if asked to, as his colleagues contemplated their .

"Whatever the conference wants, I will do. I think we need to be strong. I think we need to be united," McCarthy said during an interview on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" radio program.

House Republicans face new pressure to select a speaker after Israel declared war on Sunday, following a rare attack by Hamas militants that has prompted calls for more U.S. military aid.

In their first gathering since McCarthy's ouster, House Republicans were due to meet on Monday evening. They were expected to hear from speaker candidates behind closed doors on Tuesday and vote to choose their nominee on Wednesday. There could be a House floor vote to elect a replacement for McCarthy later in the week.

Until then, the chamber cannot approve new aid.

Representatives Steve Scalise, the No. 2 House Republican, and Jim Jordan, a leader of the party's conservative wing, are campaigning to succeed McCarthy, but neither candidate has the election sewn up. At least one other lawmaker, Kevin Hern, has said he may run as well.

more
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/us-house-republicans-plot-next-moves-on-leader-mccarthy-says-he-would-go-back
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Damn, have some self-respect, dude.