Author Topic: Eight brothers fought in World War II  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Eight brothers fought in World War II
« on: October 07, 2023, 04:18:06 pm »
Eight brothers fought in World War II
By
Bethaney Phillips
Oct 6, 2023
3 minute read

In a scene that parents would call a nightmare, an incredible eight family members fought during World War II. Today, there are laws in place (and fewer families with so many siblings to enlist), but back in the 1940s, there were no such qualms. In the case of the Fedele family, eight of the 11 sons would see battle. The offspring of Philip and Angelina headed to the frontlines one by one. Remarkably, every one of them returned home alive.

Even at the time, the brothers’ service made newspaper headlines for beating such incredible odds. They also printed that it was likely the most members of a single family to serve in a war. (Surprisingly, there are at least two other instances of eight brothers fighting in one war.)

Who were the brothers who served in WW2?

First, Anthony Fedele enlisted in the Marines in 1939. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor during the infamous bombing, but survived the attack.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/fidele-eight-brothers-who-fought-in-wwii/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Eight brothers fought in World War II
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 04:18:45 pm »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson