Author Topic: Trump’s lawyers ask appeals court to halt current $250M civil fraud trial  (Read 461 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump’s lawyers ask appeals court to halt current $250M civil fraud trial

By Priscilla DeGregory and Ben Kochman
Published Oct. 6, 2023

Donald Trump’s lawyers Friday asked an appeals court to halt the $250 million civil fraud trial that began this week against the former president.

Trump, 77, had separately filed a notice of appeal Wednesday seeking to overturn a bombshell ruling from Justice Arthur Engoron that sided with New York Attorney General Letitia James on her top fraud claim against the real estate tycoon.

Engoron — who is hearing the Manhattan trial rather than a jury — found that the 45th president was liable for fraud when he exaggerated the value of his assets for years.

As part of what’s known as a summary judgment, Engoron also revoked some of Trump’s business licenses in the Empire State and said a receiver needed to be appointed to oversee the winding down of those companies.

Meanwhile, the trial went forward in Manhattan Supreme Court on the remaining claims and to determine how much Trump should pay for the fraud — which the AG says should be at least $250 million.

But Trump is asking the Appellate Division, First Department, to put the entire trial on hold until a decision is reached on his appeal.

The former commander-in-chief attended the first two days of the trial with his son Eric Trump — a senior vice president of the Trump Organization and a defendant in the case.

The pair were also present for the first half of the trial Wednesday before Trump headed to Mar-a-Lago in the afternoon.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/06/trumps-lawyers-ask-appeals-court-to-halt-current-250m-civil-fraud-trial/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Gee, his lawyer should have checked the box for a jury decision.

I hear Trump's side thought jurors would be too dumb to understand the complex finances of a New York real estate developer.  Who are the dumb ones now?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Gee, his lawyer should have checked the box for a jury decision.

I hear Trump's side thought jurors would be too dumb to understand the complex finances of a New York real estate developer.  Who are the dumb ones now?

Even if they had made a jury demand (which might not have been applicable, since the statute is apparently based on providing equitable remedies), a jury does not hear a summary judgment motion - that is for the judge - and since Trump lost on a motion for summary judgment, having demanded a jury would not have changed the outcome at that point.