Author Topic: Texas Senator Calls for Federal Reimbursement for Educating Illegal Aliens  (Read 680 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Emily Medeiros October 4, 2023

It is estimated that Texas taxpayers have spent $5-$8 billion annually on education for illegal alien children.

A Texas lawmaker is calling on Gov. Greg Abbott to add legislation requiring the federal government to reimburse the state for the cost of educating illegal alien children in Texas’ government schools to the special legislative session.

State Sen. Drew Springer (R–Muenster) sent a letter to Abbott asking him to include the legislation on the call for the special session slated to begin next week.

“Texas can not afford to wait until the 89th Legislative Session to address this matter,” wrote Springer. “Texas is not a sanctuary state for illegal migrants, yet we’re spending billions each year to fund their education. It is time that we put an end to this and send the federal government the bill.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-senator-calls-for-federal-reimbursement-for-educating-illegal-aliens/

Offline Hoodat

Texas is under no obligation to educate illegals.  Stop giving out free stuff.  If a child is not a legal resident, then don't let them be enrolled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas is under no obligation to educate illegals.  Stop giving out free stuff.  If a child is not a legal resident, then don't let them be enrolled.

A landmark case ensuring education to undocumented children turns 40

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/plyler-v-doe-undocumented-children-supreme-court-40-anniversary-rcna33064

June 13, 2022, 4:55 PM CDT By Raul A. Reyes

A group of Texas Hispanic parents fought for their children’s right to attend public school. The Supreme Court decision Plyler v. Doe ruled in their favor. “The right to a basic education is a fundamental part of democracy," says historian Sonia Hernandez.

This week marks the 40th anniversary of a court case that affected thousands of schoolchildren. Yet it's one that most Americans likely don't know about.

In the 1970s, a group of Texas parents who lacked legal immigration status risked deportation to fight for their children’s right to attend public school. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court, which on June 15, 1982, ruled in favor of the parents and their children.

Plyler v. Doe ensured that children living in the U.S. without legal immigration documentation could access a basic education and lead more productive lives. It also paved the way for young immigrants to become active in efforts to demand legal pathways for children who have spent most of their lives in the U.S., such as the DREAM Act and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA.

More at link.

Offline Hoodat

Plyler v. Doe ensured that children living in the U.S. without legal immigration documentation could access a basic education and lead more productive lives.

In that case, charge them with illegal entry, convict them, and let them go to school in prison.  And when their sentences have been completed, deport them.  I was being nice.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

In that case, charge them with illegal entry, convict them, and let them go to school in prison.  And when their sentences have been completed, deport them.  I was being nice.

Sounds fair enough.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I can see that imprisoning all these children would go over like a lead balloon. I imagine the costs of charging, trials, and incarceration would end up much more than the school costs.

Offline Kamaji

I can see that imprisoning all these children would go over like a lead balloon. I imagine the costs of charging, trials, and incarceration would end up much more than the school costs.

Then perhaps busing them North is the simplest, and cheapest, solution overall.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

States will be lucky if Feds re-imburse cents-on-the-dollar for the cost of illegal immigrants ... keep sending those buses up North.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.