Author Topic: Congress made $80 billion-plus in changes to defense budget  (Read 326 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress made $80 billion-plus in changes to defense budget
« on: October 05, 2023, 02:36:49 pm »
Congress made $80 billion-plus in changes to defense budget
Congress shifted a sizeable chunk of the Pentagon's budget to reflect lawmakers' priorities

By John M. Donnelly
Posted October 4, 2023 at 4:03pm

The fiscal 2023 Defense appropriations law contained at least $80 billion in changes to President Joe Biden’s Pentagon budget request, according to a previously undisclosed new Defense Department report and congressional documents.

Lawmakers added fully $61.4 billion for hundreds of different projects that were not sought in Biden’s request for fiscal 2023, according to an August report to Congress produced by the Pentagon comptroller’s office and posted on that office’s site.

Notably, the report only counted additions to the budget that were individually worth $20 million or more.

The fiscal 2023 Defense appropriations law added a net $44 billion in total funding above the request. So, to make the $61.4 billion in unrequested projects fit under even that higher funding topline, lawmakers had to cut $17.4 billion worth of programs that the Defense Department wanted.

Those $78.8 billion in plus-or-minus alterations do not tell the full story, however.

https://rollcall.com/2023/10/04/congress-made-80-billion-plus-in-changes-to-defense-budget/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congress made $80 billion-plus in changes to defense budget
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 02:38:34 pm »

Congress shifted a sizeable chunk of the Pentagon's budget to reflect lawmakers' priorities

Lawmaker's priorities rarely equal military priorities. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Congress made $80 billion-plus in changes to defense budget
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 03:20:43 pm »
The Golden Rule:  He who has the gold (Congress) makes the rules.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.