Author Topic: Man was arrested, held for six days over faulty facial recognition tech  (Read 320 times)

Offline Kamaji

Man was arrested, held for six days over faulty facial recognition tech: lawsuit

By Ronny Reyes
Published Oct. 4, 2023

A black man visiting his mother in Atlanta was wrongfully arrested and held for six days after facial recognition technology incorrectly identified him as a fraudster and thief in Louisiana, according to the latest lawsuit aimed against the controversial tech.

Randal Quran Reid, 29, was visiting his mother on Thanksgiving last year when DeKalb County police pulled him over, claiming he had two arrest warrants against him for crimes in Jefferson and East Baton Rouge Parishes, according to the lawsuit filed in Atlanta federal court in September.

“I was confused and I was angry because I didn’t know what was going on,” Quran told the AP, as he tried to explain to the officers that he has never even been to Louisiana.

Despite his pleas, Reid was arrested and detained for nearly a week as police readied him to be extradited to the Pelican State.

Unbeknownst to him at the time, Reid was being held after Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office detective Andrew Bartholomew determined that he was the lead suspect in a New Orleans robbery in June 2022, when a stolen credit card was used to buy two purses valued at more than $8,000 each.

Bartholomew allegedly identified Reid solely through the use of facial recognition technology that matched surveillance video of the perp to Reid’s driver’s license, the lawsuit states.

“Bartholomew did not conduct even a basic search into Mr. Reid, which would have revealed that Mr. Reid was in Georgia when the theft occurred,” the suit reads.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/04/man-was-arrested-for-six-days-over-faulty-facial-recognition-tech-lawsuit/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Man was arrested, held for six days over faulty facial recognition tech
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 05:09:21 pm »
Shades of Kafka.