Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy's run as Speaker is finished. Is Matt Gaetz a villain or a hero? By Liz Peek  (Read 1028 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kevin McCarthy's run as Speaker is finished. Is Matt Gaetz a villain or a hero?
Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz got what he wanted. He succeeded in ousting House Speaker Kevin McCarthy
Liz Peek By Liz Peek Fox News
Published October 4, 2023 5:00am EDT

Is Matt Gaetz a hero or a villain?

The camera-loving Republican from Florida who threatened to shut down the government and who masterminded the ousting of Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday has made more than a few enemies in Congress.

He doesn’t care; he represents a district in Florida that hasn’t gone Democrat in decades and that went for former President Trump in 2020 by 68% to 29%. That means that in 2018, for instance, election gurus gave him 99% odds of being reelected, even though his approval rating was a dismal 20% -- worse than Joe Biden.   

Consequently, Gaetz has little sympathy for centrist colleagues in toss-up districts who must win over independent voters who are likely appalled by the chaos in the GOP caucus. He apparently has little commitment to his party or to maintaining the Republican majority in the House. To those of us who view Joe Biden’s agenda as dangerous for our country, Gaetz’ unseating of Speaker McCarthy, which will stoke the Democrat narrative that the GOP is incapable of governing and give more power to Hakeem Jeffries and his colleagues, is reckless and selfish. It is said his attention-getting antics are fed by his desire to be a TV host; if the shoe fits…

more
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/kevin-mccarthys-speaker-finished-matt-gaetz-villain-hero
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
My first thought is prima donna. Basically made a spectacle of himself to seal up base support.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

He doesn’t care; he represents a district in Florida that hasn’t gone Democrat in decades and that went for former President Trump in 2020 by 68% to 29%.
That means that in 2018, for instance, election gurus gave him 99% odds of being reelected, even though his approval rating was a dismal 20% -- worse than Joe Biden.   

Consequently, Gaetz has little sympathy for centrist colleagues in toss-up districts who must win over independent voters who are likely appalled by the chaos in the GOP caucus. He apparently has little commitment to his party or to maintaining the Republican majority in the House.

That's the exact problem.

With a four vote margin in the House, you cannot afford to ignore the considerations of those couple of dozen centrists from swing districts.  You can't bully them because they're more worried about their voters than leadership.  The rules pushed through by the Freedom Caucus actually barred the Speaker from supporting challenges to incumbents, so you can't threaten to "primary them".  And even if you did, many of them are in districts that would never elect a hardline conservative anyway.

So if you just ignore them, you won't be able to pass anything.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's the exact problem.

With a four vote margin in the House, you cannot afford to ignore the considerations of those couple of dozen centrists from swing districts.  You can't bully them because they're more worried about their voters than leadership.  The rules pushed through by the Freedom Caucus actually barred the Speaker from supporting challenges to incumbents, so you can't threaten to "primary them".  And even if you did, many of them are in districts that would never elect a hardline conservative anyway.

So if you just ignore them, you won't be able to pass anything.

Is it better, then, to ignore us and pass abhorrent Democrat bills?  That situation described the House under McCarthy (as I predicted in January).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Is it better, then, to ignore us and pass abhorrent Democrat bills?  That situation described the House under McCarthy (as I predicted in January).

They didn't.

When the Democratic Senate continuing resolution was passed, moderate Republicans didn't vote for it.  Instead, they supported the bill drafted by the Policy Chair of the Freedom Caucus that called for an 8% reduction in spending and border security.

It was the hardliners who refused to vote for it, and sank it.  Because they figured no cuts at all were better than only 8% cuts plus border security.  Go figure.  And by the way, not a single House Democrat voted for that bill either.  So the idea that the moderate Republicans are  no different than Democrats is just wrong.  They're not conservatives, but they're not Democrats either.

It was only after the hardliners killed Chip Roy's bill that the rest of the GOP caucus supported a more or less clean continuing resolution to avoid a shutdown.  And that's because it was the only bill the House passed that could.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:38:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

They didn't.

When the Democratic Senate continuing resolution was passed, moderate Republicans didn't vote for it.  Instead, they supported the bill drafted by the Policy Chair of the Freedom Caucus that called for an 8% reduction in spending and border security.

It was the hardliners who refused to vote for it, and sank it.  Because they figured no cuts at all were better than only 8% plus border security.

It was only after the hardliners killed Chip Roy's bill that the rest of the GOP caucus supported a more or less clean continuing resolution to avoid a shutdown.  And that's because it was the only bill the House passed that could.

:thumbsup:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McCarthy gave Pelosi everything she wanted, including the "secret Speaker's office."

Watching him cave for 9 months and breaking promises along the way has been a frustrating experience. 

He funded the 84,000 armed IRS agents, he promised he wouldn't.  He refused to release all the J6 videos, he promised he would.  The breaking point was when it was discovered he was going to fun Ukraine after making a deal he wouldn't.  There are other broken promises, I named but a few.

I demand a Speaker who keeps his promises.  Sorry, not sorry.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Intent= Good
Timing= Sucked
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I think Gaetz timed it when he could get it passed, windows of opportunity come and go, and sometimes you have to strike while the poker is hot. It is easy to say "At a Better Time", but with the ebb and flow of things, sometimes you act when the door is cracked enough to get your foot in. It was almost like McCarthy was daring him to do it because he felt like he was invincible.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think Gaetz timed it when he could get it passed, windows of opportunity come and go, and sometimes you have to strike while the poker is hot. It is easy to say "At a Better Time", but with the ebb and flow of things, sometimes you act when the door is cracked enough to get your foot in. It was almost like McCarthy was daring him to do it because he felt like he was invincible.

Before the votes, McCarthy tweeted, "Bring it!"
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It has to be brought to a head.  The Speaker could not be held hostage indefinitely from demands and threats coming from less than 4% of the caucus.  Not fair to rest of them.

Presumably, if the Republicans manage to elect a Speaker, it will be one who doesn't owe anything to anyone in particular.   I can't fathom a new Speaker wanting to put themselves at the mercy of that same crew.

If the same group of hardliners insist that any new Speaker make the same promises, them maybe they just don't elect one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:29:00 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline ScottinVA

Gaetz is a hero to himself, and that’s all that matters… to him.

For the rest of the GOP, that fiasco simply shows the Repubs are more interested in forming circular firing squads than governing.  Truly pathetic.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Seems to me McCarthy had some confidence the Dems were going to stay out of it and got suckered.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Seems to me McCarthy had some confidence the Dems were going to stay out of it and got suckered.

The most believable thing I've heard all day....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Kamaji

Most likely.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The most believable thing I've heard all day....

Yeah, he either was confident of that,or at least hoped t would happen.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm all for what's happening.

It's time to start playing hardball, and for Representatives to become as "ideological" on the right as the DCommunists naturally fall over towards the left.

Kick McCarthy out?
GREAT idea.

Put a firebrand in there. If the rest of the namby-pamby and all-but-useless Pubbies can't follow (and show no inclination to fight), then let them disappear from their offices in 2024.

And re the Major's comment above about having only a "small margin" for a majority...
... How do you think the DCommunists would behave if THEY had but a majority of only one or two votes?

Offline Sighlass

I'm all for what's happening.

It's time to start playing hardball, and for Representatives to become as "ideological" on the right as the DCommunists naturally fall over towards the left.

Kick McCarthy out?
GREAT idea.

Put a firebrand in there. If the rest of the namby-pamby and all-but-useless Pubbies can't follow (and show no inclination to fight), then let them disappear from their offices in 2024.

And re the Major's comment above about having only a "small margin" for a majority...
... How do you think the DCommunists would behave if THEY had but a majority of only one or two votes?

:thumbsup:
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

Guess he figured the libs wanted him to stay with the behind the curtain deals with them? Whatever drove the smugness of invincibility, the smack was enough to publicly say he wanted no more of it.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Yeppers and he got what he rightfully deserved.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline berdie

Guess he figured the libs wanted him to stay with the behind the curtain deals with them? Whatever drove the smugness of invincibility, the smack was enough to publicly say he wanted no more of it.

Since politics are largely hidden from public view...who knows? I still think there was a lot of animosity
between Gaetz and McCarthy. Egos came into play. Gaetz threw a challenge...McC said meet me at the flag pole after school. McC lost the fight.

I'm aggravated with all of it. There are no true statesmen.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.

Yep. When you make a deal with the devil, don’t be surprised when he betrays you. And laughs.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

And how does this move the rest of the caucus to the right?

If the rest of the namby-pamby and all-but-useless Pubbies can't follow (and show no inclination to fight), then let them disappear from their offices in 2024.

And be replaced by Democrats?  That's not going to move Congress to the right.  Nor are a lot of those districts ever going to elect a conservative.

They'd all probably vote in lockstep because they're more strategic than we are.  But, as those who sank Roy's bill showed, Republican representatives don't do that.

So exactly how to you plan to change that?

Offline roamer_1

I demand a Speaker who keeps his promises.  Sorry, not sorry.

I'm right there with you  :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.