Author Topic: Manhattan's First Target Closes, Impacting the Local Community  (Read 266 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Manhattan's First Target Closes, Impacting the Local Community
« on: October 03, 2023, 11:04:50 am »
Manhattan's First Target Closes, Impacting the Local Community
Story by Faruk Imamovic •
20h

Manhattan has long been a hub of businesses and commerce, so when a major player like Target, which was the first of its kind to open in this bustling borough, announces its closure, it raises eyebrows and questions. Lou Martins, a local resident and business owner, expresses the sentiment that echoes throughout his East Harlem neighborhood: frustration, disappointment, and a touch of resignation.

Safety Concerns Spell Closure
Target revealed earlier this week that it would be shuttering nine stores across various cities including New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland. The company pointed to massive theft and the subsequent safety concerns for employees and shoppers as the driving force behind these decisions.

Martins, a stone's throw away from the East River Plaza shopping center where Target has been a significant presence since 2010, has been a witness to the escalating theft issues. "I've seen shoplifting happening in that mall, in Target.

I’ve seen cops chasing people carrying bags of products out of the mall,” he disclosed. This shopping center, which sprawls over 174,000 square feet, also houses other retail giants like Costco, Aldi, and Burlington.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/manhattan-s-first-target-closes-impacting-the-local-community/ar-AA1hzBPO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=accaee980bf84f37a2c3023598ac6a13&ei=18#image=1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson