Author Topic: Gaetz Has Filed Motion To Vacate the Chair  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:47:12 am by mystery-ak »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Gaetz Has Filed Motion To Vacate the Chair
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 11:33:44 pm »
What a puss.  He thinks he is hot shit.  But this guy just stepped in it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:40:33 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Matt Gaetz introduces motion to vacate against House Speaker Kevin McCarthy
'Bring it on,' McCarthy said on X post following Gaetz's motion
By Brandon Gillespie , Tyler Olson , Chad Pergram , Kelly Phares Fox News
Published October 2, 2023 7:26pm EDT

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., has followed through on his renewed threat to introduce a motion to vacate against House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

Gaetz, a frequent McCarthy critic, introduced the motion Monday evening on the House floor.

"Mr. Speaker, pursuant to clause two A1 of Rule nine, I rise to give notice of my intent to raise a question of the privileges of House," Gaetz said. "Declaring the office Speaker of the House of Representatives to be vacant. Resolved that the office of Speaker of the House Representatives is hereby declared to be vacant."

Gaetz's move will force the House to take a vote on whether to keep McCarthy as speaker within two legislative days.

There are a number of members undecided on how they would vote on such a measure, but it's likely McCarthy will need at least some Democrat votes to keep his job. Democrats could be in a position to try and extract concessions from McCarthy for their votes.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., told Fox News following Gaetz's move that he believes a motion to vacate at this time is "a bad idea." Additionally, Rep. Andy Ogles, R-Tenn., told Fox he was undecided.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/matt-gaetz-introduces-motion-vacate-against-house-speaker-kevin-mccarthy
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

So, who are they going to vote out of their seat? Gaetz or McCarthy?  McCarthy has the GOPe and the DEMS behind him.  I'm saying Gaetz is going to wind up losing his seat.

IF in the event McCarthy loses his seat, who will they replace him with??

It is unfortunate; a House divided never wins.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Better to file this than to run his mouth endlessly.  Either way, we'll know something in two days.

Said it before, but I suspect the "party line" from Democrats is going to be to abstain and let the GOP fight it out.

If the Motion then fails, Gaetz will look like a complete putz.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Fail or no fail.  The boy is like Fartwell.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Better to file this than to run his mouth endlessly.  Either way, we'll know something in two days.

Said it before, but I suspect the "party line" from Democrats is going to be to abstain and let the GOP fight it out.

It will fail. McCarthy had 90% of the GOP caucus even after 15 rounds in January. If they wouldn't abandon him then, they won't now. Especially when Gaetz tried to nominate Trump as speaker even though he's not even a House member, apparently based on a half-baked idea from Internet message boards (like us!).

Gaetz already looks like a putz to everyone outside Trumpland.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

So, who are they going to vote out of their seat? Gaetz or McCarthy?  McCarthy has the GOPe and the DEMS behind him.  I'm saying Gaetz is going to wind up losing his seat.

. The only threat I've heard about Gaetz is what they might do if the ethics investigation comes back negative.   But we don't even know when that would be - almost certainly not within the next two days.

If the Motion to Vacate fails, Gaetz will be completely neutered, and there will be no reason to remove him.  If it succeeds, he wouldn't get the boot anyway.

The obvious problem is if the Motion does succeed, it may be extraordinarily difficult to elect a new Speaker.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It will fail. McCarthy had 90% of the GOP caucus even after 15 rounds in January. If they wouldn't abandon him then, they won't now. Especially when Gaetz tried to nominate Trump as speaker even though he's not even a House member, apparently based on a half-baked idea from Internet message boards (like us!).

Well, if the Democrats join the Motion, 10% of the GOP caucus is more than enough to vacate the chair.  That may happen, though I'm personally betting it won't.

Democrats are in a weird position.  I'm sure they'd love to sink McCarthy and celebrate at the chaos that ensues, but that might earn them a lot of blame for that chaos.  Plus, if they vacate it now and there is chaos, it might make it even more difficult to pass something when this temporary CR runs out in a month and a half.  And ultimately, that might get blamed on them too.

I think the more moderate ones will abstain, and the AOC-type radicals vote to vacate.  Question is going to be what Jeffries does.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:45:38 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 01:31:13 am »
I set up a poll so we can all take a guess at the outcome.  My first one so I hope I did it right.

Also hope I'm not the only one who votes.  Lol

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 01:41:36 am »
bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 01:51:22 am »
 :bkmk:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023, 01:57:19 am »
Kind of curious what the various GOP candidates will have to say about this.  Some of them wanted a shutdown, which would put them on Gaetz' side, but they also supported McCarthy.  So it'll be interesting to see what happens.  Gaetz being from Florida adds a wrinkle as well.

Offline bilo

The Pubs were never united. McCarthy is an Establishment Loyalist just as 120+ other House Pubs. At least we will see who the Pub leadership works for when McCarthy gets bailed out by the Rats.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

No he doesn't.

It may seem that way from the Establishment Loyalist bubble.

McCarthy agreed to follow certain rules and practices to be Speaker. He didn't live up to his word. Gaetz calling him out for being the liar he is does not reflect badly on Gaetz. The mess that exists right now is McCarthy's doing.

McCarthy sent the House home for 6 weeks in the summer instead of working on appropriation bills. McCarthy gave away all leverage in the debt ceiling agreement and got nothing. McCarthy has sold out conservatives and the country at every turn.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline kevindavis007

No he doesn't.

It may seem that way from the Establishment Loyalist bubble.

McCarthy agreed to follow certain rules and practices to be Speaker. He didn't live up to his word. Gaetz calling him out for being the liar he is does not reflect badly on Gaetz. The mess that exists right now is McCarthy's doing.

McCarthy sent the House home for 6 weeks in the summer instead of working on appropriation bills. McCarthy gave away all leverage in the debt ceiling agreement and got nothing. McCarthy has sold out conservatives and the country at every turn.

Sorry but Matt has been a putz
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline RetBobbyMI

The Speaker does not have to be a member of the House.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I think that's correct.   Constitution says only "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers", but doesn't state that they must be members.  Without that language, it's pretty certain that require doesn't exist.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Has he ever not been?

I think that's correct.   Constitution says only "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers", but doesn't state that they must be members.  Without that language, it's pretty certain that require doesn't exist.
I believe the requirement of it being another Representative comes from the word "THEIR speaker." It did not say "A speaker." "Their" implies it must be one of them, not some outside appointee.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Has he ever not been?

No.

I believe the requirement of it being another Representative comes from the word "THEIR speaker." It did not say "A speaker." "Their" implies it must be one of them, not some outside appointee.

Well, he's "their" Speaker whether he's a Member or not, so I personally don't believe the use of "their" is relevant.  It would have been extraordinarily simple for the Constitution to have said they shall "chuse a Member" to be Speaker, but it doesn't.  I don't think the Supreme Court would want to open the Pandora's Box of unwritten qualifications for offices or elected positions under the Constitution because that's kind of a slippery slope.  "If it isn't there, it isn't a requirement" is more objective and consistent.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 04:54:03 pm »
Majority of Freedom Caucus Opposes Matt Gaetz’s Motion to Oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy

The majority of Freedom Caucus members oppose Rep. Matt Gaetz’s (R-FL) motion to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/03/majority-of-freedom-caucus-opposes-matt-gaetzs-motion-to-oust-speaker-kevin-mccarthy/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 04:55:26 pm »
 Democrats say they won’t save McCarthy Speakership
by Mychael Schnell and Miranda Nazzaro - 10/03/23 11:29 AM ET

House Democrats said Tuesday they do not plan to save Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) when a vote on ousting him from the top spot hits the floor later in the day.

Emerging from a closed-door meeting in the Capitol that lasted more than two hours, House Democrats said they will vote to oust McCarthy from the Speakership.

“We are following our leader, and we are not saving Kevin McCarthy,” Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), chairwoman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told reporters.

Asked whether a decision was made as a caucus not to support McCarthy, Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) responded, “Yes.”

The news comes hours before the House is set to vote on an effort to oust McCarthy as Speaker after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) set the process in motion Monday night. There will likely be a procedural vote to table the resolution to oust McCarthy or refer it to committee before the chamber weighs in on whether to boot the Speaker.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4235808-democrats-say-they-wont-save-mccarthy-speakership/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2023, 04:57:25 pm »
We may have Jeffries as the new Speaker before this is all over...
Support the USO