Author Topic: NASA publishes never-before-seen photos of ‘ravioli’ moon orbiting Saturn  (Read 715 times)

Offline Kamaji

NASA publishes never-before-seen photos of ‘ravioli’ moon orbiting Saturn

By Michael Lee, Fox News
Published Oct. 1, 2023

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) dropped never-before-seen photos of one of Saturn’s moons while comparing them to well-known food dishes.

“Ravioli, pierogi, empanada… What do you see? No wrong answers,” NASA posted on its Instagram account Monday, accompanied by pictures of Pan, the innermost of Saturn’s moons.

The photos, which were taken from the Cassini spacecraft, show the unique moon in a new level of detail.

According to the space agency, the ridge around the equator of Pan has similar characteristics to Atlas, another moon that orbits Saturn. That ridge gives Pan its unique “dumpling” shape, according to NASA.

Pan orbits Saturn from inside a gap in one of the planet’s rings, the post explained, making an orbit around the planet every 13.8 hours at an altitude of 83,000 miles.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/01/nasa-publishes-never-before-seen-photos-of-ravioli-moon-orbiting-saturn/

Offline Kamaji

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
That's A weird one.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

That's A weird one.

It really is.  I wonder why the ridge at the equator seems to be "smoother" than the main body of the moon.
It's interesting, anyway.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

It really is.  I wonder why the ridge at the equator seems to be "smoother" than the main body of the moon.

Maybe the center got squeezed out, like the filling in a jelly donut.

Offline Polly Ticks

Maybe the center got squeezed out, like the filling in a jelly donut.

LOL -- or maybe a warm "moon" pie!   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I am not an Astrophysicist, but I just can't fanthom how a celestial structure through natural cosmic forces can happen like this.

Wierd is an understatment. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Well, it is only 35km by 23km, so it's probably small enough to resist a lot of the forces that tend to cause celestial bodies to become spheroids.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
More on formation

Here's Why Saturn's Inner Moons Are Shaped Like Ravioli and Potatoes

https://www.space.com/amp/40653-saturns-weird-moon-shapes-explained.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

More on formation

Thanks!

Offline Polly Ticks

More on formation

Huh.  Turns out you were pretty close with the creamy filling, @Kamaji !