Author Topic: Ford Ranger Transforms Into A Hybrid 6×6 Truck With A Massive Payload  (Read 761 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CarScoops  by Thanos Pappas September 29, 2023

The electric rear drive system contributes up to 282 hp of power, retaining the same level of performance even when the truck is fully loaded

Ford recently revealed the plug-in hybrid version of the Ranger but another and much more capable self-charging hybrid version of the midsize pickup is now available in the form of an aftermarket conversion. The Ranger HEX 6×6 created by engineering firm Ricardo benefits from a bolt-on hybrid system, an extra axle, and a bespoke rear suspension layout, promising to significantly improve its cargo-carrying capabilities on rough terrains.

Ricardo published a single photo of the Ranger HEX 6×6, which appears to be based on the extended cab bodystyle featuring a longer rear bed, an extra axle, and an increased ground clearance. The De Dion arrangement for the rear suspension is said to improve traction while allowing 6×6 or 6×4 configurations according to the customer’s preferences.

The stock 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine remains under the bonnet but benefits from the assistance of a “self-contained” electric rear drive system effectively converting it to a hybrid. The electric motor produces up to 282 hp (210 kW / 286 PS) of additional power, charging the battery pack via regenerative braking. It can be combined with different battery options depending on the use. The goal is for the electric assistance to retain the same level of performance even when the truck is fully loaded, and lower fuel consumption. All of the high-voltage components are placed in a single enclosure making it easier to service.

More: https://www.carscoops.com/2023/09/ford-ranger-transforms-into-a-hybrid-6x6-truck-with-a-massive-payload/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Ford Ranger Transforms Into A Hybrid 6×6 Truck With A Massive Payload
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 03:55:42 pm »
Nope.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 04:16:20 pm »
I hate what Ford has done to the Ford Ranger over the years.  My daughter had a second-generation Ranger (1993) that was still going strong at 400,000 miles.  With a standard transmission it was easy to drive, easy on gas, a breeze to park and reliable.  I put many of those miles on the truck.  I even owned a 93 F-150 in those days.  I'm wondering how Ford expects women to love their trucks when they have trouble getting in them without boosters.

I'm currently looking at a Maverick and still having trouble deciding. Maybe I'll try a Hyundai SANTA CRUZ   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 04:20:32 pm by Texas Yellow Rose »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 04:26:09 pm »
I hate what Ford has done to the Ford Ranger over the years.  My daughter had a second-generation Ranger (1993) that was still going strong at 400,000 miles.  With a standard transmission it was easy to drive, easy on gas, a breeze to park and reliable.  I put many of those miles on the truck.  I even owned a 93 F-150 in those days.  I'm wondering how Ford expects women to love their trucks when they have trouble getting in them without boosters.
This is what infuriates me about carmakers. A lot of people who use pickups need trucks, they're not just a fashion accessory. Why not offer a model or two that are just as stripped-down and basic as a 1993 (or 1973)vehicle, i.e., no computers, no touch screens, low enough to the ground for easy access, standard transmission, etc.? Grrr.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 05:06:45 pm »
Looks nice IMHO.... anything electric (even hybrid) is a solid no from me though...

Quote from: mountain
This is what infuriates me about carmakers. A lot of people who use pickups need trucks, they're not just a fashion accessory. Why not offer a model or two that are just as stripped-down and basic as a 1993 (or 1973)vehicle, i.e., no computers, no touch screens, low enough to the ground for easy access, standard transmission, etc.? Grrr.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 05:07:59 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 05:26:17 pm »

I'm currently looking at a Maverick and still having trouble deciding. Maybe I'll try a Hyundai SANTA CRUZ   

Same here.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 08:04:08 pm »
A 3.0L? My mid-sized Buick has a 3.8L. Awfully small for a truck that size.
The Republic is lost.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 08:12:33 pm »

Depends on how much power it puts out.

The 2024 Ranger comes with either a 2.3L I-4 (turbo), a 2.7L I-4 (twin turbo), or the 3.0L V-6 (twin turbo).

If your 3.8L is naturally aspirated, it's not a fully valid comparison.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 11:35:45 pm »

The 3.0L puts out 250 hp and the electric motor adds another 282 hp for a total 532 hp.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 11:41:24 pm »
The 3.0L puts out 250 hp and the electric motor adds another 282 hp for a total 532 hp.

Figured they skimped on the engine and made it up on the battery. My version of the 3.8L is rated at 205HP, on a much smaller weight vehicle.

If that's what someone wants, great, but I'd give it a hard pass.
The Republic is lost.