Author Topic: Residents alarmed as shoplifting incidents trigger store departures: ‘As a community we can’t allow  (Read 457 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Residents alarmed as shoplifting incidents trigger store departures: ‘As a community we can’t allow this to continue’
Story by By Parija Kavilanz, CNN •
22h

Lou Martins is angry, frustrated, and disappointed but not surprised that the first Target store to open in Manhattan — in his New York City neighborhood — is closing in October.

Target this week cited large-scale theft and safety concerns for employees and customers for its decision to close nine stores in New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Portand.

“I’ve seen shoplifting happening in that mall, in Target. I’ve seen cops chasing people carrying bags of products out of the mall,” said Martins, who lives and works a block-and-a-half away from the the East River Plaza shopping center in New York City’s East Harlem neighborhood. That’s the area where the 174,000 square-foot big box Target has anchored the mall since it opened in 2010. The facility also has a Costco, Aldi and Burlington stores.

Martins and his wife Maria Gonzalez Arrieta own and manage Bistro Casa Azul, a restaurant on Pleasant Avenue and East 118th Street, a stone’s throw from the entrance of the mall. There’s no doubt that losing Target will be a blow to the community, he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/residents-alarmed-as-shoplifting-incidents-trigger-store-departures-as-a-community-we-can-t-allow-this-to-continue/ar-AA1hu3Ys?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=372428a06bc249e9a71325d18254e420&ei=23
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who have you been voting for all these years, Lou...?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Then quit voting Rat douchewheels. Geez Louise.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

Lou Martins is angry, frustrated, and disappointed but not surprised that the first Target store to open in Manhattan — in his New York City neighborhood — is closing in October.

Target this week cited large-scale theft and safety concerns for employees and customers for its decision to close nine stores in New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Portland.

I'm not understanding this.  NY just had a gubernatorial election where this was the #1 issue.  One candidate (who was nearly stabbed in the throat on the campaign trail) offered a plan for tackling high crime, while his opponent backed a plan to put criminals back on the street.  And New York voters chose option 2.  So again, I am not understanding.  They got exactly what they voted for.  They should be thrilled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

I'm not understanding this.  NY just had a gubernatorial election where this was the #1 issue.  One candidate (who was nearly stabbed in the throat on the campaign trail) offered a plan for tackling high crime, while his opponent backed a plan to put criminals back on the street.  And New York voters chose option 2.  So again, I am not understanding.  They got exactly what they voted for.  They should be thrilled.

I'd say that there's likely some 'election rigging' going on.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
At this point, only a neighborhood watch, with baseball bats or some such or other arms as allowed, well enough padded/armored for the overwatch committee that will shortly be present at such gatherings (these aren't spontaneous, but are organized lootings), and ready to knock some heads will put a dent in this crap. The police won't do it, the stores will take the loss and leave. Only the neighborhood can impose the standards it wants to live with. Expect that to devolve into a shooting war.

Yep, I reckon that is saying that short of vigilante activity in opposition to this crap, nothing is going to change before the net election, and then it is a question of whether the looters outvote the honest residents.

In reality (because the police will be instructed to arrest any vigilantes for "taking the law into their own hands") and prosecution of those stopping this organized theft on the part of one dominant demographic is virtually guaranteed.

The unfortunate answer is to leave, let it rot, let the looters loot each other, and maybe build a fence to contain them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis