Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Washington state moves to remove community notification, restrictions for sex offenders  (Read 349 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AMERICAN NEWS Sep 29, 2023

EXCLUSIVE: Washington state moves to remove community notification, restrictions for sex offenders
Ari Hoffman
Seattle WA
Sep 29, 2023

The Post Millennial has learned that Washington’s Sex Offender Policy Board is working with the state’s Sentencing Guideline Commission in an attempt to roll back restrictions and sentence guidelines for sex offenders, claiming “these laws actually undermine public safety, the exact opposite of what lawmakers and the public so confidently assume they accomplish.”

This is on the heels of community blowback from Washington Democrats including Governor Jay Inslee and Attorney General Bob Ferguson, releasing level 3 sex offenders, those deemed the “worst of the worst” and most likely to re-offend from high-security facilities to halfway houses in unsuspecting neighborhoods.

Additionally, at the end of the last legislative session, Democrat Governor Jay Inslee line-item vetoed a provision that would have informed neighbors if such an individual was to be placed in their community.

Former Washington Rep Cathy Dahlquist told The Ari Hoffman show on Talk Radio 570 KVI, that the Sex Offender Policy Board “…is made up of a group of folks that were appointed by the governor's office to serve on this board to provide recommendations to the state legislature and they are tasked right now with realigning the sentencing guidelines for sex crimes.”

A draft of the recommendations for the Model Penal Code obtained by The Post Millennial from a Sept. 21 meeting reveals that the entities are claiming that “those convicted of a sex offense have some of the lowest recidivism rates compared to individuals convicted of a non-sex offense” adding “This is also true for individuals convicted of sex offenses against children.” The document did not cite the pertinent data.

https://thepostmillennial.com/exclusive-washington-state-moves-to-remove-community-notification-restrictions-for-sex-offenders
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
“those convicted of a sex offense have some of the lowest recidivism rates compared to individuals convicted of a non-sex offense”

I would imagine shoplifters, burglars, and those convicted of selling, using, or possession of illegal substances or firearms just might have a higher rate of recidivism than convicted sex offenders, simply because they have more opportunities to commit their particular crime (lower incarceration rate per offense, if at all).
Part of making sure the convicted sex offenders have fewer opportunities is to notify the public of their particular crime and whereabouts, after (hopefully long) terms of incarceration have been served. 

This is one group of criminals, (aside from the 18 y.o. caught with his 16-17 y.o. girlfriend and was prosecuted), who do not reform, who do not change their ways.  The same sick urges that led to their first offense remain, and will likely lead to another. The first offense was too many, the second preventable and unconscionable.

They just ain't wired right, and need to be kept away from kids.

When the State won't do that directly, parents being aware of who, what they look like, and what they did, as well as where they live, is the only remaining tool for the sort of situational awareness needed to prevent harm that lasts a lifetime for some child.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:26:30 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis