Author Topic: Lawmakers, Army headed for a fight over cuts to special operations forces  (Read 170 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawmakers, Army headed for a fight over cuts to special operations forces
“It doesn’t pass the smell test,” said one Senate staffer.
PATRICK TUCKER | SEPTEMBER 28, 2023
SPECIAL OPERATIONS ARMY CONGRESS

Lawmakers are worried that a U.S. Army plan to cut up to 3,000 people from its special operations forces will embolden China.

One defense official told Defense One that the Army is not looking to reduce the number of operators, but rather to eliminate redundant positions in headquarters, logistics, and support. But lawmakers say the Army hasn’t given them enough information about their plans and they won’t allow the service to make any cuts without their approval.

The public first learned about the Army's proposed SOF cuts last May during a Senate Armed Services subcommittee hearing. Four months later, a Senate staffer told Defense One that U.S. Special Operations Command head Gen. Bryan Fenton did not agree with the plan, and his objections were under consideration by Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/09/lawmakers-army-headed-fight-over-special-operations-forces-cuts/390771/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson